$2 bill 1976 series

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Oleta Miller, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Oleta Miller

Oleta Miller New Member

What is a 1976 $2 bill stamped april 15 1976 worth

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

2 dollars

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

$2 plus a "why" question with no answer.

Depends on the stamp (we need photos) - most likely (guess) is it's a teller's stamp, from the top bill in a strap once upon a time.

Brina likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

$1.75 - Deducted 25c because no photos (Sight Unseen) were provided.

Chris

SmokinJoe and Brina like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As others have said, without pics it is very difficult to provide an accurate answer, however, it sounds like your $2 was a first day of issue cancellation. Does it have a 13 cent postage stamp on it? During the Bicentennial, there was a big to-do when the BEP issued an updated $2. There was some sort of program where you could bring a newly issued $2 note to the Post Office, buy a stamp, and they would cancel it. BTW: I believe the first day was April 13, but yours was probably brought to the PO a few days later

Many collectors and non-collectors did this and there are lots out there. Most probably sell for <$5 assuming it’s still in crisp, unc condition

7. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

The date was April 13, 1976. It should have a date-stamped 13-cent stamp. You can find crisp-uncirculated bills for $7 all-day every-day. For an April 15 date-stamp you will get $2 at best.

I have one of these bills. I think it's one of the coolest in my collection. That's Me. Many hard-core old-school currency collectors feel these are damaged bills not worthy of collection. LOL. That's them.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

To me, if it was uncirculated and not stamped, it would have a little value over face.
    The stamp means nothing to me, and it just damages the bill. But I can see how some collectors may want the stamp as a provenance of authenticity as this bill was reissued after a hiatus of a number of years. The problem is the $2 bill is useless in our society. They could stop printing it tomorrow and there would be zero impact.

9. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

It was the rage back then when these first came out. My grandparents got my sister and I some of them stamped and cancelled. To me though it was just spending cash as I was in my early teen years and money was for spending, not saving or collecting.

10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i have 3 of these an i believe i paid $5 each for them some years back, as a currency collector these are notes i just had to have in my collection..
    1976-001-obv.jpg 1976-002-obv.jpg 1976-003-obv.jpg

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The race tracks use them because wagers are based on a $2 bet.

Chris

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Another Bicentennial Collectable. In other words another gimmick.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Stamp collectors tend to hate them also, usually in every general collection of that era if you buy a collection.

14. Zeppo Shanski

LOL ... it's really funny how anyone could spend any energy hating any part of our hobby. ... Crack me up.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

As my local club's treasurer, I get $2 bills just about every month from collectors and dealers. All of them seem to be crisp Uncirculated. The main thing I have to do with them is separate the $2 bills from the rest of the money when I deposit it in the bank. The club bank as a currency counting machine, and it won't recognzie the $2 bills. They have to be handled separately.

If the collectors and dealers are spending them, you know that they are worth no more than $2.

16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

I make it a point to get any excess $2 the bank happens to have at the time, mostly for my grand-nieces & nephews, but I'll also leave them for a tip when I dine out. It's fun to watch the expressions of some of the people... and when I come back they typically remember me. Yeah, I'm THAT guy.
    Have maybe a dozen of the stamped ones, most in crisp uncirculated... I stash away any $2 start notes I get (in crisp condition).

17. Zeppo Shanski

Here's mine:
    IMG_0440.jpg

ken454 likes this.
  18. ernie11

ernie11 Member

I got one of these at the time and had a 13-cent stamp cancelled at my local post office. Still have it. I am not certain of this but I think it was released on April 13 because that's Jefferson's birthday.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Date of issue, on Jefferson's birthday.

Draft saved Draft deleted