2 aberrant depictions of Apollo Sauroktonos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Dear friends of Apollo Sauroktonos!

Apollo Sauroktonos is one of my favourite motives on coins. Here I want to share 2 types with depictions different from the usual presentations of this famous statue.

(1) Nikopolis ad Istrum, Macrinus, AD 217-218
    AE 27, 13.42g, 26.82mm, 345°
    struck under governor Marcus Claudius Agrippa
    obv. AV K OPPEL CE - VH MAKRI NOC
    laureate head r.
    rev. [VP AG]RIPPA NIKOPOL - ITWN PROC IC
    in l. and middle field TR - W
    Apollo Sauroktonos, nude, with crossed legs, l. leg set behind r. leg, stg. r., l.
    hand resting on tree-stump, in bent r. hand holding branch with which he touches
    the tree
    ref. a) AMNG I/1, 1687, pl. XIV, 35 (5 ex.)
    b) Varbanov (engl.) 3372
    c) Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2018) No. 8.23.7.2 (same dies)
    d) Pat Lawrence obv. M, no.10 (gap between I and N on obv. not mentioned)
    VF, dark green patina

nikopolis_macrinus_HJ8_23_7_2_#1.jpg

Pick writes:"the left on a tree-stump from which a lizard(?) is jumping to him." But on this coin it is rather a branch with small round fruits.
    Pat Lawrence (in 'The Pontianus and Agrippa Dies for Macrinus and Diadumenianus at Nicopolis ad Istrum"): Apollo Sauroktonos, so labeled by Pick (and Taf. XIV, 35) and earlier, though Postolakas at Athens: Achilles Postolakas, Catalogue of the Ancient Coins of Regions, Nations, Cities and Kingdoms, National Numismatic Museum, 1872, no.847, is at pains to describe what he sees: "...to one side and the other of Apollo, naked, stg. r., bending his l. knee, having his head laureate and holding with his r. hand a twig (or branch) slanting downwards, placing his raised l. hand on the little tree, stripped of its branches, stand in front of him." He, too, doubted wether we may read the elements between Apollo's torso and the tree trunk as a leaping lizard.

(2) Philippopolis, Faustina jun., AD 145-176
    AE 26, 7.74g
    obv. FAVCTEINA - CEBACTH
    bust, draped, r.; hair in three horizontal waves and bun behind
    rev. FILI - PPOP - O - LEITWN
    Apollo, nude, stg. r. with crossed legs, leaning with l. hand on oblique column
    with quiver at base, holding arrow in r. hand
    Ref. Mionnet Suppl.2, 1491 (from CoinArchives)
    Rare, VF

philippopolis_faustinaII_Mionnetsupp1491.jpg A beautiful variation!

Best regards

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Two beautiful coins @Jochen. Too bad it's not a leaping lizard. Looking at it with squinted eyes, I think it might be a lizard.

TIF and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wonderful coins Jochen! Although, I must say the wistful part of me wishes for that branch to be a lizard.

5. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

If it would be a lizard than we would have the nice situation that the lizard jumps against his killer!

jochen

David Atherton likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

From the detail I see, it could as well be the lizard held by the tail jumping back to the tree from which he has been plucked. I wish I knew the reasons behind all the variations with/without darts and foot positions. The coins were supposed to copy an original but it appears there was a series of related poses. My favorite is the one that matches the Louvre statue (a Roman copy from the lost original. I feel certain Nikopolis had at least one copy of the statue, perhaps more. This Geta also has the largest lizard (~chest to knee?) I have seen in proportion to the boy.
    pm1460b01682lg.jpg

TIF, Johndakerftw, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Must be an Iguana?

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's what it looks like to me, or that he's grabbed the lizard by the tail and it is trying to hold on to the tree with its front legs, or they just slipped off the tree.

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The Apollo Sauroktonos was a famous statue by Praxiteles. There is only one ancient copy of an Apollo killing reptile statue that survives the millennia -- in the Cleveland Museum.

09-10APS_A.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted