2 Abbasid coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mukremin, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

but the buryids are a different nation right? are the abbasids considered as vassals of the buryid dynasty

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Yes, the Buyids were a separate (Shi'ite) dynasty in the tenth and eleventh centuries in Iran. They controlled the Abbasid Caliphs, who were only puppets under their rule, but they liked to maintain the fiction that they were legitimate subrulers of the caliphs, so they kept their names on coins like many of the other independent dynasties that sprang up after the tenth century. Some list them under "Abbasid coins" but modern scholars tend not to.

4. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

so shall i list it as a Abbasid coin or a Buyid coin? its obvious that the shi'ite didnt recognize the Caliphs.?

5. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

People list them as Buyid coins. The independent dynasties issued their own coinage, and that coinage is usually listed under the name of the dynasty, even though the coins frequently also include the name of the current Abbasid caliph as well.

It is interesting that the Buyids were Shi'ites but they still wanted to maintain the fiction that they ruled under the authority of the Abbasid caliphs.

I am not entirely sure however what particular dynasty this coin is from, since the writing is smushed. I will explain further in another post.

6. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above are images of your coin, and I have attached a Buyid coin for comparison below. I cannot make a positive identification of this coin, because I cannot read enough of it.

The first image above is the reverse of your coin, and it reads, "Mohammed rasul ..." etc. The last line on this side cites the caliph Al-Ta'i.

The second image above is the obverse of your coin, and it reads, "la illaha ..." etc. The second to last line should have the ruler's name, but I can't read it. The last line may read, "Abu Shuja", which was one of the titles of Adud al-Dawla, which is why I think it might be his. The mint and the date would be part of the marginal inscriptions, which I cannot make out at all.

To identify this for sure, you will have to find someone who can read it from a photograph (you can try the Islamic coins group) or, since you have the coin in front of you, you can try comparing it to pictures of Buyid coins on the web. This will take some searching. Good luck! :)

http://users.rcn.com/j-roberts/buw.htm

Attached Files:

7. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

ah oke i understand now, i will do as you told. Compare it to the other buyid coins, hope i can identify it for 100% if possible.

btw have you managed to take a look at the other coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted