2.93g 1955 D mint wheat cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jimmie Trahan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Jimmie Trahan

Jimmie Trahan New Member

Can anyone tell me more about this coin I weighed it and it weighed 2.93 and they said it could be worth a significant amount that is because it could be brass I'm not sure about that can someone please shed some light on this
    1955 D Lincoln wheat back cent
    20210221_152018~2.jpg 20210221_164606.jpg 20210221_164700.jpg 20210221_152018~2.jpg 20210221_164606.jpg 20210221_164700.jpg 20210221_152018~2.jpg
    Thank you in advance for all of your help

Cheech9712 and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Its within tolerance might be a little light but its probably just from being 66 years old.

4. Jimmie Trahan

Jimmie Trahan New Member

You think it would lose that much weight because of the age

Cheech9712 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No it would not. It has very little wear. The coin is within tolerance.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Cheech9712 and Spark1951 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Geez, I wish I would lose as I get older .

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We pay by the grade, not the weight. Lol. But anyway, they shoot for 3.11, so yours is likely within tolerance.

JPD3 and 1stSgt22 like this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Who is "they" that said it may be worth a significant amount?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A little on the light side but not enough to get my interest. It's worth one cent and not a cent more.

10. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-21_22-19-1.png

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Jimmie Trahan

Jimmie Trahan New Member

Although this guy could be full of shit, I just was wondering if I found anything good.
    I have been collecting for a lil while but for the past year gotten more serious and have learned some things I just don't want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of knowledge

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. Jimmie Trahan

Jimmie Trahan New Member

I have been collecting for a lil while but for the past year gotten more serious and have learned some things I just don't want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of knowledge so I don't know a lot of the lingo with that being said what does it mean when someone says
    "The coin is within tolerance."

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

No, he is full of it, for sure. He jumps from a 1943 to a 1955 D and tries to say because the 43 is worth x then the 55 D is worth 1/2 x. That is total BS in the world of numismatics, and trying to compare different years and mint marks coin values should be your first red flag.

Edit: your 55D is not worth more than 4 cents. And his is not worth more than 5 cents unless it is in perfect condition with no marks or damage and still would not be worth more than a few dollars.

14. Jimmie Trahan

Jimmie Trahan New Member

Ok I kinda figured that.
    What does it mean when someone says
    "The coin is within tolerance"

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

There is a "Variance" for each denomination and type of metal.
    A Copper planchet weighs 3.11 grams + - 0.13g. A Zinc planchet weighs 2.5 grams + - 0.10g. A Steel planchet weighs 2.7 grams

16. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Here is a table of tolerances for your info
    US Coins, weight Composition and Tolererances.jpg

Anda, Cheech9712, JPD3 and 6 others like this.
  17. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Like the chart, going to add a copy to my growing collection of reference tables. Thanks.:joyful:

Jimmie Trahan, Kentucky and expat like this.
  18. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

That is how I got that one. I also have a file on my PC with handy charts, lists and links that other members post.

Jimmie Trahan and JPD3 like this.
  19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Welcome to Cointalk! If you don't already have it, pick up a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins aka the Red Book. It's a good introduction to coins. Just don't put much stock in the prices of coins.

Jimmie Trahan and Oldhoopster like this.
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The chart gives you the answer Jimmie. The Red Book is a great reference also. Good luck

Jimmie Trahan likes this.
  21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...you might try testing your scale for calibration. You also have to understand that the copper alloy sheets the wheats were punched out of could have been rolled a little thinner resulting in a lighter weight, but, as noted, it’s within tolerance
    anyway...imo, a thin planchet wheat...agree not enough wear to impact the weight...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted