$2.5 Indian Gold - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ckachu16, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ckachu16

ckachu16 The "Doc& amp ;amp;amp ;quot ;

I just printed both of those pictures and held them up to the light and you were exactly right. The reverse of the coin is what is shown on the obverse and it matches up exactly with all of those random marks that were not usuall on the obverse. Now, does this make it any more likely that it is real? ALso, does this do anything at all to the grade of the coin? Is it more rare and possibly more valuable or is it something that would hurt the overall grade of the coin? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys for all of your help. The wisdom that all of you bring to these discussions never ceases to amaze me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

The clashing does not effect the grade. It's not rare enough to raise the value as it happens on 5-10% of these.

My opinion is that the clashing makes it more likely it is real and not counterfeit but I have not proof of this opinion.

I would contact the seller and tell him some folks said it might be counterfeit, tell him you want to send it to PCGS or NGC to have it authenticated, if it comes back authentic then all is good, if not can you have a refund. (Mention it takes 1-2 months for this authentication)

As far as grade, what did you buy it as or what was the advertised grade?

4. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

Die cracks, die chips and other errors such as clashing as well are a possible indicator it is genuine, not always, but a good rule of thumb.

It is because of genuine die wear, these are characteristics assosciated with normal long die life.

Bill Fivaz Rule 17 geniune coin rules of thumb.
    United States gold : counterfeit detection guide

5. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yes, one looks for wear on the design elements. The #1 places to look for rub are the Indian's cheek and eagle's shoulder.

6. ckachu16

How much would you guys pay for a coin like this, if you knew that it was authentic?

7. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

I would pay around $300 if its authentic and a non problem coin
    I don't want one, but that's how much I think is a fair price

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That really is the problem, you cannot KNOW it is authentic unless it is examined in hand by an expert. It is not worth the risk to buy these coins raw.

9. ckachu16

Who would be able to tell me its authenticity in a reasonable amount of time. I would send it in for grading but if it comes back counterfeit a month or two later than I am stuck with it. Is there anyway of getting someone to tell me if its real within a week?

10. GDJMSP

In a nutshell - no. Nor is there any reason to. These coins are readily available, I'd just about bet that I could find a dozen examples that are already slabbed and authenticated within an hour. So can you. So why risk anything on this particular coin ?

11. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

While I can't make any promises, the coin looks genuine to me and I grade it AU. However, they are common enough so that it's not worth risking your money on an uncertified example unless you KNOW that the seller is both knowledgeable and honorable.

If you buy an uncertified one and then spend the extra money for grading and postage in order to have it authenticated, you will have increased your cost by more than 10%. You'd be better off either buying a certified one or an uncertified one from a reliable source. In the latter case, you wouldn't need to have it certified.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

That's very sound advice.

13. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

I am very surprised there are not any books/seminars on learning how to detect fakes. PCGS/ngc/mafia/cartel wants us to depend on them for the final answer.

14. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

There are several of each.

ANA offers a 5-day class on counterfeit detection at Summer Seminar every year. This year a friend and I am conducting a mini-seminar on basic counterfeit detection.

ANA offers 1-day seminars at major coin shows.

ANA also has a correspondence course on counterfeit detection.

There are several books on counterfeit detection. Bill Fivaz's book on detecting counterfeit gold coins is excellent. PCGS has a book on both grading and counterfeit detection. And there are plenty more out there. All you have to do is look.

Collect89 likes this.
  15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I completely agree. I would let this one go and find one that has been slabbed already. These are popularly collected and commonly found...you should have no trouble finding another.

16. GDJMSP

No, they don't care whether you depend on them or not. You as the buyer are the only one who should care. You see, I don't care how many books you read or seminars you attend, you will likely never be able to say with certainty if a coin is genuine or not. Sure, the books and seminars help and will undoubtably allow you to pick out a few fakes.

But it is the ability to pick out all the fakes that counts. And outside of the TPG's there are but a handful of people who are qualified to do that. That is the reason that these coins should only be purchased slabbed. It is for your benefit - not the TPG's.

17. ckachu16

Well guys, I just wanted to let you all know that I took your advise and canceled my order for this coin. Overall, the risk was far greater than the reward. Thanks for all your help. If you get a chance, please help me out on my latest debacle, which is a 1928-P Peace Dollar that I have verified being a legit date and mint, but has been polished at some point. I wanted to see if it makes it completely worthless. I started a new post for it on here if you want to throw in your two cents worth. Thanks again,

18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I know this is bringing up a super old thread, but that coin is genuine, and it is a clash mark. ALSO, the 1908 $2 1/2 was minted with less detail on the eagle's wing/shoulder, so that is not a sure sign of wear.

Rheingold likes this.
  19. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Now you have me concerned....

How does mine look? It's in a ACG slab which has me worried.
    IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0153.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted