2 1/2 Cent Wood County, Bridge Company Poser?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin Rapids WI. 2 1/2 Cent Token Wood County Bridge Company.
    I got this in a lot awhile back that I bought in pursuit of a Indian Head Cent I wanted. I recently sold it on eBay and in the process it has resurrected a question I never answered.

When I first saw it I thought it must have been distributed as passage payment for a man bridge, something quite common in early America. I have no reference books on tokens so I went to Google. I was surprised to find pictures of a trestle bridge that was built for a railroad in 1901 which I assume would make it privately owned. Apparently the 1901 bridge replaced one built in 1867 and I assume this is the era the token is from. The question in my mind has been : Why would a passenger on a train who had paid a fare for a trip from point A to B need a token to cross a bridge that doesn't seem compatible with foot traffic?

The person who purchased the token from me lives Wisconsin Rapids so I was hopeful he could answer this poser for me. He said that he didn't know they existed until he came upon the auction so, for me, the mystery lives on.

Researching this token has made it one of the most interesting coins I have had in my possession and chasing the history made me aware of how token collectors get hooked on tokens.
    IMG_7513.JPG IMG_7514.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Publius2 and buckeye73 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Have you had any contact with Bill Anderson aka @PennyGuy ? He collects Michigan tokens. ~ Chris

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

No I haven't I'll have to PM him

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking Token.

Hoky77 likes this.
  6. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Much of the fun in collecting tokens is the research and history associated with it, particularly the older token. I really like this token!

Inspector43 and Hoky77 like this.
  7. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

For your information if interested, this token is listed by Token Catalog as #82022 and the most recent sale listed is eBay $97.75 on 12/18. The latest listed Token Catalog value is $137.00.

Hoky77 likes this.
  8. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Anything denominated in half cents is cool!

Inspector43 and Hoky77 like this.
  9. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I wonder if these were for train fair?
    Doing a little more surfing and I found a 25 cent version:
    s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (3).jpg

buckeye73 and Publius2 like this.
  10. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Been looking around on this token. Nothing in Rulau’s catalog, did find two more listed on eBay...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WISCONSIN-...785695?hash=item340d42df1f:g:N08AAOSw8ENdDZJ4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WISCONSIN-...844664?hash=item3412458278:g:oxoAAOSwyTtdafbR

I noted that these are listed as from Wisconsin Rapids, WI (in Wood County). The eBay listing notes that the Wood County Bridge Company was in business from 1867 to 1873. Interesting that the tolls used 1/2 cents given the US Half cent ended production in 1857 a full10 years before the Bridge Co.

11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Wood Co. Bridge Co. struck on a Civil War token. This just keeps getting better, it looks like they turned a one cent Civil War token into fifteen cents. All we need now is a one cent and a half.
    s-l500 (4).jpg s-l500 (5).jpg

12. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I just got this note from the new owner of the token (he's from Wisconsin Rapids, WI) and he did a little research for me. (I've suggested he join here)

Hi Paul I found out some information about the token. There were two varieties created. One is an original and a second variety was struck over civil war tokens. There was no bridge at the time. The tokens were commercial. Products would be ferried back and forth between Centralia and Grand Rapids. If the local people needed to cross the river they would have to canoe themselves or find someone to canoe them over. Very interesting. Thank You for your interest in this I appreciate that. Good Luck with your collection. Can’t wait to receive it in the mail!!

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Wow. Thats got to be worth a few bucks. Thanks. I like @PennyGuy. Info about the half cent question

Hoky77 likes this.
  14. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

The auction I acquired the pictures from went for $257.

Draft saved Draft deleted