2,000th post contest!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by coingeek12, May 6, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i reached 2,000 posts! so now time for a contest!

Theme: oldest U.S. coin. This can be any denomination at all!

the winner is the person with the most votes, counted by likes of course!

Rules:
    No posting more than one coin, and only one post that includes pictures of your coin.
    It must be your coin.
    No more than four pictures of your coin.
    You may include some information as to how you got a hold of it, denomination, weight, etc.
    No more than one post mentioning your coin
    No voting for yourself!
    No thumbnails! any post that has the pictures of the coins as a thumbnail will not be counted as an entrie
    Only US coins aloud!

Voting:
    You may vote twice. one via liking the post, and one via MSG me. you may NOT vote twice for the same coin!

Entering your coin:
    First at the top of your post, write out information about the denomination and weight (optional) etc.
    Then have the pictures below it.
    then write anything else you would like to say below the pictures. such as how you got it, did you buy it, find it, or was it given to you?

You may not enter a coin into the contest after 5/31/14 11:59 PM California time.
    the voting ends on 6/14/14/11:59 PM California time.

I will then announce the winner of the contest!

The prize is all the likes from the voting, plus 10 from me.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    theSharpGun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You won't tell anyone but the winner what the prize is, and then you'll only disclose the prize to the winner after the contest ends? Sound shady to me. Why so secretive? Is there really no prize? State the prize up front to be fair to everyone.

4. coingeek12

there, changed it! :)

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

So I guessed right, there really is no prize.

6. coingeek12

yes, yes you did. i will eventually have a contest with a prize.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

1783 Constellatio Nova. Pointed Rays, Large US reverse. Crosby 1-A (R4). Graded G06 by PCGS.

Mirrored after the Constellatio pattern coins that were struck as a prototype for an official denomination of US currency.
    image.jpg

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There very well may be a lot of coins that are encapsulated by a grading service (like that of non_cents) where it would be impossible to weigh them. I think this requirement should be optional, but you make it sound like it is mandatory. Sorry, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would crack out a coin for this contest.

Chris

9. coingeek12

fixed it! :)

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

1794 Large Cent

My baby. I bought this coin over 40 years ago. I was in graduate school and although I couldn't afford it, I was being sent coins on approval from a place called "First Coinvestors". When they sent me this, I knew I couldn't send it back, and at that time paid $300 for it. That much invested would be quite a bit more now, but would never have given me the joy this coin has. I have shared it possibly with hundreds of people and all of them have enjoyed it.
    1794 obverse.jpg 1794 reverse.jpg

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well, this one gets my like. ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

When I first started collecting, one of the first coins that caught my eye was the Standing Liberty Quarter. I loved the look of high grade examples, and knew I had to have one. I spent months looking for a beautiful example at a fair price, and this is the one I found. I bought this from C-B-D here on CoinTalk. I'm using his pictures of the coin. I am very happy with my purchase from him and would happily do business with him again. 1917 MS62FH.JPG 1917 MS62FH Reverse.JPG

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

So many rules.... I am confused

14. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

1788 Mass. Cent

image.jpg image.jpg

Always wanted one, finally bought this last month. Now I need a piece 1652 silver to go with it.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    spirityoda, lucyray, Kasia and 3 others like this.
  15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

My coin is a 1846 cent

I got it at my first coins show. The last wittman show in philly. The guy I bought it from a guy who had a really nice accent and he taught me all about coins. He also gave me a discount which was awesome and I will never forget this guy. Actually this is the first coin I ever bought ever! Its not the oldest out there, its not the rarest, its not the nicest but it is mine. That's all that matters, it makes me happy so, so be it.
    (it wouldn't let me edit my first post sorry could someone delete it for me please thanks) 1946Cent001.jpg 1946Cent002.jpg

green18, Kasia and coingeek12 like this.
  16. coingeek12

Just post your coin. it must be your oldest though.
    and be sure to tell us bout' it!

17. Steve61

Steve61 Member

1894 Indian Head
    I picked it up in my teens from a add in a classified magazine that looked like it was printed on old shopping bags.

Attached Files:

coingeek12 likes this.
  18. coingeek12

awesome coin!

19. Steve61

Steve61 Member

Thanks

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This was my first Bustie picked up in 2009 from a coin outfit in New Hampshire.......

IMG_3847-horz.jpg

Raw and free from plastic enclosure, it remains my oldest coin to date.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    coingeek12, lucyray and non_cents like this.
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1805 Draped Bust Half
    ICG XF40

Draft saved Draft deleted