2,000,000 Cents CRH Milestone

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by furryfrog02, Oct 25, 2021.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

A little over 9 years ago to the day, I started searching boxes of cents. Before that, I had started with a couple rolls here and there for a few months in the search for wheat cents.

In late October 2012, my regular teller asked me if I "just wanted a box of pennies so I didn't have to come back so often to get my couple rolls here and there.". I said "Yes of course!" and an official addict was born.

On my first box, I wrote down how many wheats, coppers, and Canadians I found. Strangely, I didn't write down the date. By box 2, I started writing down each year of the wheats and Canadian (Still no date searched) and by box 3 (on the other side of the page) I wrote down the date searched (November 12th for box 3), number and date of all wheats and Canadians and, eventually when I found some, types of errors/varieties/other interesting things.

I have searched probably close to 50 $50 bags of cents from the machines as well as random rolls and stuff but today marks the completion of my official 800th box of cents and my official 2 millionth cent hunted.

I joined CT a few months after I started and have learned so much, hopefully have taught a few things, and made some really great friends. My son, who was barely walking and talking when I started, has joined me in the hobby and has grown a keen interest in foreign and ancient coins in addition to "slumming it with dad" doing CRH. I've had 2 other children be born in this time and have another on the way. My 5 year old loves to sit with her dad and brother and search half dollar rolls and my 2 year old loves to pull rolls out of the box to hand to the 3 of us. CRH and numismatics in general has become a family affair.

Here is the record of my first cent box ever searched and my 800th box searched as well as my 1,000,000th and 2,000,000th cent CRH.
    20211025_145825.jpg 20211025_145856.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad you could keep track as that’s something I could never do. Congrats

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

You are absolutely maniacal.
    At least to non-collectors.

To us, you're a CRH legend :wideyed::cool:

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Family fun for sure. What does the missus say?

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

And by the way - I wish I had this.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

Depends on the day lol. A lot of the times it's "What are you gonna buy me?" when I tell her how much a coin is worth or how many silver halves we found haha.

8. furryfrog02

I'm a lucky guy. I can't say that enough!

Kurisu and Evan Saltis like this.
  9. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Hah that's some fun number crunching...I never kept track but I remember starting searching penny and nickel rolls around 1977...
    I've only done a few boxes of various denominations in that time. Mostly they give me boxes to carry the rolls...but anyway...hmmmm... maybe I should've paid more attention to the totals just for fun!
    I'm going to guess...44 years, sometimes around a thousand rolls a year let's say...but it was mostly pennies until the 80's, then mostly pennies nickels quarters and halves...:writer:

I don't know...I'm going to go with around 4 million coins searched for me in about 44 years...so heck, you're on an amazing trend of a couple million in 9 years!!! o_O:):woot:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

Oh if I were to add up other denominations, I'd be close to, if not more than 10 million coins.

paddyman98 and Kurisu like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

You do realize that there are a number of coins with lower mintages than that. Lol

JeffC likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

Oh man, I never thought of it like that before! Hahaha.
    [​IMG]

13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Thanks for sharing this. Made me smile. Have you ever got back a roll you "recognized" as having been returned by you? (Sorry if this is a dumb question that wouldn't happen... I don't do any CRH and am not very familiar with the exchange procedures with the bank.)

14. Collecting Nut

I couldn’t help myself. I just had to say that. :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. furryfrog02

Nope. I get my coins from a bank that uses Loomis and I dump a a bank that uses Dunbar. I think this helps with the tishing where you sleep and reduces the chances of getting your searched coin back. That being said, after searching so many coins, I'm sure I've looked at the same coin twice. I did mark a few thousand junky half dollars with "FF" several years ago just to see if they ever came though my boxes again. I have yet to see one.

JeffC likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

I found a 2015-S business strike Saratoga 25c last week. The mintage is 888,380. I could have looked at each of those quarters like 10 times!:eek:

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

That’s a very nice find! All I get is coins that have been recycled.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Congrats. wow that's a lot cents. You made me want to search for silver dimes again.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Okay, so...
    Tell us your best finds.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Time for "Fun With Math" :wacky: :facepalm:

Lets say you average 2 seconds per coin. That assumes you quickly eliminate most with a quick glance but spend more on the dates that may have valuable varieties.

10,000,000 coins x 2 sec/coin = 20,000,000 seconds
    20,000,000 sec ÷ 3600 sec/hr ÷ 24 hr/day = 231.48 days
    - or -
    Approx 2.67 years of 40 HR weeks with no vacations or holidays
    (If you only want the numbers for checking cents, divide everything by 5. That way it doesn't sound so bad:D)

"Oh boy, more coins to check", exclaimed Furry Frog
    46ffhm_kindlephoto-1036259197.jpg

21. furryfrog02

I love that math!
    Coins are my vacations and holidays ;)

Kurisu likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted