2 €uro for JFK...the coin we'll never see

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petronius, Jun 10, 2013.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

On June 7, three days ago, should have been issued a new coin from Republic of San Marino, a commemorative 2 Euro dedicated to John F. Kennedy, on 50th Anniversary of his death.

But, unfortunately, we'll never see this coin....why?

The European Union stopped issue of this coin, because it did not feel right that on an European currency was showed a non-European Chief of State, and a person foreign to the history of San Marino.
    So, San Marino will issue a commemorative 2 Euro for Pinturicchio, Italian painter, on 500th Anniversary of his death. The coin will be released on September-October.

For 2 Euro JFK remains only a model, designed by Luciana De Simoni, which suggests that it would been a really nice coin...I think that is lost a great opportunity to have a coin that would interested many, also outside of traditional Euro coins collectors :(

2euro kennedy2013-2.jpg

Description of the coin, by San Marino Numismatic Office:

"The obverse side of this coin depicts a portrait of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and in the background the national flag of the United States of America; to the left the dates, 1963-2013, respectively the year of Kennedy's death and the year of issue. To the right, arched, the writing SAN MARINO, and the symbol of Italian Mint, R. Below the writing J.F. KENNEDY. The twelve stars of the European Union encircle the coin."

petronius :cool:

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In another coin forum we had a discussion about that issue when the "JFK theme" became known a while ago. The general consensus was, why on earth would San Marino issue such a coin? ;)

Sure, small countries are somewhat limited when it comes to themes or occasions for commemorative and collector coins. And I do not have any problems with issues from SM that honor people who lived "nearby" - in cities that today are in Italy or some neighboring country maybe. So Garibaldi, Botticelli, even Columbus make sense to me. But JFK?

He has never been to San Marino AFAIK, and about the only connection is this street. My impression, when the AASFN announced that theme, was that they simply wanted to make money - much like what several countries in, say, Africa and Oceania do when it comes to issuing coins.

Side note - wasn't the JFK design done by Claudia Momoni? Her name shows up at the bottom ...

Christian

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

San Marino might have pulled off a Lincoln commemorative, back in 1861 Lincoln authored a praise of the ancient republic.

5. petronius

petronius Duke

Yeah, she is, but I found the name of Luciana De Simoni, another Italian medalist, in a numismatic magazine, and I have not checked the news...it's my mistake, I apologize for it :confused:

When AASFN announced that theme, they simply wanted to make money? I think that this is the main purpose of ALL commemorative coins, worldwide :rolleyes:

petronius :smile

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You may well have a point there. :D What I meant was, I would not really like San Marino to play in the same league as Niue, Tuvalu, Liberia, Palau etc. - places that issue a whole bunch of collector coins which, in most cases, have nothing to do with the issuing country or territory. So far San Marino has not done that, at least not with commemorative €2 coins, and I hope it stays that way ...

(Of course I will gladly ;) pay for the Pinturicchio coin.)

Christian

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

... but this one

Side note - Ireland does commemorate JFK on coins this year. ;) But that makes some sense, as Kennedy visited the country in 1963. Both "coins" are proof-only issues, and legal tender in Ireland only. The €10 silver piece (image from the central bank's brochure) will cost 50 euro; the €20 gold piece (same design) has a 130 euro price tag.

Christian

Attached Files:

8. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I think a euro coin with Kennedy on it makes sense. One of Kennedy's greatest speeches was in Berlin, and he was loved by most Europeans, so why not?
    Besides, anything with JFK on it is sure to be popular. It will sell.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

On that trip (June/July 1963) Kennedy went to West Germany, then West Berlin, then Ireland, UK, Italy and Vatican. As far as I know, Ireland is the only country in Europe to commemorate the 50th anniversary by issuing a coin. Well, of course we never know about issuers such as Niue, Palau, Cook Islands, etc. ;)

Christian

10. petronius

petronius Duke

San Marino will try again :D

It seems that JFK will be the subject of a silver 5 euro. For commemorative coins of different values from those of normal circulation (such as 2 euro) each country enjoys full autonomy in regards subjects, materials and face value.
    Will be used, with some adjustments, the sketches already in place for the 2 euro coin.
    No news, at the moment, about issuing date.

(from "Il Giornale della Numismatica", July 2013)

petronius :)

11. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I think it makes a lot more senes if you look at it in context of the commemorative postage stamps that San Marino is famous for. I believe that they issued their first postage stamp with JFK on it in 1964. I think a significant percentage of the San Marino budget is funded by the revenue from selling commemoratives. It would seem that they're just trying to take from the success they've had in commemorative postage stamps and carry it over to coins.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

If they do that with their collector coins - which are legal tender in the issuing country only - there is nothing wrong with that. :) But the commemorative coins (€2) are legal tender anywhere in the euro area, just like the regular circulation coins.

Christian

13. Peter T Davis

Yep, I see the distinction with coins. I don't think there is such a distinction with stamps though, as commemorative stamps can be used for postage just like any normal one (do San Marino even issue normal stamps?). I think the're just trying to expand their success, those €2 probably cost what, about thirty cents to produce? Nice profit margin there, right?

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure about stamps; those are issued by postal services and ... well, you know how that works :D. So when I go to a post office here in Germany and buy stamps, they can be used for mailing letters within or from DE. Same with stamps from San Marino - may be used in/from SM. That is pretty much like a public transport ticket or restaurant voucher; all these things can be used with the organization that issues them.

With euro coins there is one important difference. The circulation coins and the commemorative €2 coins - i.e. the eight regular denominations - are legal tender in the entire currency union. That is also why the European Commission, Council or Parliament may sometimes object to certain themes or designs.

Now the collector coins, on the other hand, are legal tender in the issuing country only. A German €10 piece for example is "worthless" (as a means of payment) in the Netherlands. Nobody really cares because those coins do not actually circulate, not even in the issuing country. So when San Marino wanted to put JFK on a €2 commem, there may have been "hints" from Brussels to not do that as he had nothing to do with the country. But a surcharged silver collector coin ... oh well. ;)

And yes, those small countries (which are not members of the European Union but have monetary agreements with the EU) tend to make quite a bit of money with the money they issue ...

Christian

15. Peter T Davis

I think the Germans should make a JFK €2 coin to commemorate his Ich bin ein Berliner speech. :D

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Way back in 1964, Sharjah, one of the United Arab Emirates, issued this silver coin:

[​IMG]
    Sharjah 5 Rupees 1964 Memorial of John F. Kennedy

:)

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Unlike the current US president, he did go to various cities in DE. Politically JFK's Berlin speech will have been more relevant than what he said in Cologne for example ;) but we have already reached the "two issues" limit this year - one in the German States series, and one celebrating 50 years of the Elysée Treaty, featuring Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer.

(Speaking of that, I just got back from the Grande Fête Française in our city. Today is the French national holiday, and here in Düsseldorf aka "Petit Paris" that is a reason for a three-day party every year. But I digress ...)

Yes, for the countries that Kennedy visited it may have made sense to issue a coin. Well, Ireland did - see further above. :)

Christian

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This is the design of the €5 silver piece, by the way, that San Marino is about to issue instead of the €2 commem. Peter, note the quote. ;)

Christian AASFN5JFK.jpg

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

What a waste of silver.

Windchild likes this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, you know my opinion about that. Honoring a man like him makes more sense in my view than issuing coin after coin that honors the military. But the mintage is so low that hardly any silver will be used. ;)

It is still a little odd that San Marino issues that piece, a place that JFK has never been to AFAIK. But since Germany and Italy did/will not have such coins made this year, SM can fill a gap here ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted