1st Century AD Beef Up

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Mar 23, 2017.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

The first century is a weak spot in my Roman timeline, so here are a couple of coins the fortify that time period a bit and cross some things off my list.

claudius
    hand
    imperial quadrans

Yes, coin with "hands" was on my list!

[​IMG]

Claudius, AE Quadrans , AD 42.

O: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG, hand holding scales, PNR in field; R: PON M TR P IMP PP COS II around S C. RIC 91, Cohen 73. 17 mm, 3.2 g.

Any know the story of the PNR below the scales? I've seen a few guesses online, " restoration of normal weight" or "heavy roman coins"????

I'm super weak in the flavian area, so I finally got a titus...purchased from a forum member via vcoins...his pic, mine sucked.

TITUS

[​IMG]

Titus, AR Denarius, A.D. 76

O:T CAESAR IMP VESPASIANVS; Laureate head right; R:COS V; Eagle on cippus, head left. 15x18 mm, 3.5 g RIC II Rome 872

If you'd like to post imperial quadrans, titus coins, claudius coins, I'd always like to see them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    David@PCC, Mikey Zee, zumbly and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coin Chris, and congrats on crossing off a few descriptors.

I do not have any quadrans. I do however have 1 coin of Titus and 2 of Claudius. All denarii.

new titus combined.jpg claudius ric 83.jpg new Claudius combined.jpg

4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice coins, especially the Titus Caesar denarius! The eagle on base type comes in two variations: one with the eagle clutching a thunderbolt and the other without thunderbolt, as seen on your denarius.

Ancient Aussie and chrsmat71 like this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Cool! I have an example of the OP Claudius quadrans:
    Claudius quadrans.jpg
    As for the PNR, looks like you've found the two most plausible speculations. Here's what Seth Stevenson says in his "Dictionary of Roman Coins": "Havercamp and others interpret them Pondus Numi Romani. Eckhel agrees with Bellori in thinking it better explained by by Pondus Numi Restitutum." Sometimes even the experts can only guess.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I noticed ones like yours with "DES IT" (or is it DESI IT?) in the reverse legend (mine doesn't have it), I was trying to figure out what it stood for also...any idea?

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great looking coins!

8. alde

alde Always Learning

Here's a Vespasian with T-Bolt. Vespasian AR Denarius RSC 121.jpg

9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That quadrans is on my list, and I wish my Titus were as nice.

Claudius as:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 6.55.28 PM.png

Titus denarius (T CAESAR IMP VESPASIAN; IOVIS CVSTOS, Jupiter standing facing sacrificing out of patera over altar & holding sceptre. I'm told it's rare with the shorter obverse legend, perhaps @David Atherton could confirm.)
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 6.55.45 PM.png

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

COS means he has been consul. DES IT(er) means he is scheduled to begin another consulship on New Years. More ordinary might have been COS DES II. I have not seen this with DESI rather than DES and wonder if the style here is unofficial or a branch mint. I am no 12 Caesars student so someone can correct this guess.

My quadrans of Caligula shows a different way of saying Consul for the third time with TERT in place of the usual III. Oddly the TRP number was done in the ordinary manner (IIII). RCC refers to Caligula's Remission of the 1/200th sales tax. Lowering oppressive taxes is always a popular move even if it was only a 1/2% tax.
    rb1010bb1857.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Augustus quadrans Augustus 8.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Claudius quadrans
    Claudius 5.jpg Claudius 6.jpg

13. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Interesting, I had never noticed the discrepancy in legend on my coin. RIC only lists this type with DES IT (Claudius 85), not my DESI IT variant. Of course, my copy of RIC is almost as old as the coins it describes, so it's possible that this has since been updated. Definitely worth further research.

gregarious likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool captures @chrsmat71 ! HANDS! That is different! Nice to be able to fill in some cool holes / gaps in the collection.

TITUS:
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets.jpg
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets.jpg

His Daughter:
    upload_2017-3-23_22-32-57.png
    RI Julia Flavia Titi Diva 90-91 CE d-Titus concubine-uncleDomitian AE Sestert 33mm 20.4g - Carpentum mules SPQR - SC rare

CLAUDIUS:
    RI Claudius 41-54 Ae As 28mm LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C RIC 100.jpg
    RI Claudius 41-54 Ae As 28mm LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C RIC 100

One of his evil wives...
    RProv Valeria Messalina m-Claudius 41-54 CE Alexandria BI Tet yr 42-4313-1g 25mm RPC I 5131.JPG
    RProv Valeria Messalina m-Claudius 41-54 CE Alexandria BI Tet yr 42-4313-1g 25mm RPC I 5131

HANDS:
    RImp Marc Antony AR Quin Concordia Clasped Hands Caduceus Cr 529-4b O-R.jpg
    RImp Marc Antony AR Quin Concordia Clasped Hands Caduceus Cr 529-4b
    (Heh-heh-heh... slipped a Republic in there... :) )

Oh yeah... another HAND:
    Midas Hand.JPG

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice additions!

gregarious likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice!! ... congrats on adding those OP-winners, chrsmat

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ummm, I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to be adding, but that has never stopped me from adding stuff, eh?

Augustus, AE Quadrans

Augustus Simpulum.jpg

Titus

Titus & Dolphin.jpg Titus.jpg

Claudius

Claudius.jpg

... Hand-coins ...

Marius.jpg

=> hey chrsmat, congrats again on adding those two sweet OP-coins!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  17. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

wow! that last coin is Claudius?!? i would have guessed, in my ignorance, Hadrian. i have a couple aeas coins that i've ided as Hadrian, am i wrong? hadrian copper aeas 001.JPG hadrian copper aeas 003.JPG

18. gregarious

nice additions! great coins all! i have no quadrans but do have 3 denari of Titus, one being the eagle reverse Titus Denarius 76 ad eagle reverse 001.JPG Titus Denarius 76 ad eagle reverse 003.JPG

19. gregarious

haha! that hand.. i've talked to it many times><

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Two very nice coins to add to your collection I especially like your Titus, but your Claudius hands over the scales is also nice, better than mine I would post it except I haven't got around to photographing it, I tell you what this thread has the potential to be huge, Claudius, Titus and hands pretty big field....:eek:
    Actually have got pics small and in there flips.......
    2015-01-07 01.08.14-14.jpg 2015-01-07 01.08.14-15.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    icerain, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  21. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

That's one of the best Augustus quadrans I have seen, love the strike and patina.

Bing and gregarious like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted