1C - Blank Planchet - Explore & Discover - NGC Dated!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by paddyman98, Jan 26, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello everyone,
    My latest acquisition..

In 2019 the US Mint created a special set called the Explore and Discover set. It included a 1 Cent Blank Planchet. Someone sent the Blank Planchet to NGC and it was certified. Blank usually aren't dated because there is no way to tell when they were made.. This one is dated because of the set.
    Not labeled a Mint Error because it was specifically made for the set. It would be an error if it escaped the Mint.

Thoughts? o_O

Purchased from Sullivan Numismatics -
    20210126_100012.jpg 20210126_100021.jpg Capture+_2021-01-26-10-03-03.png Capture+_2021-01-26-10-02-06.png

@Collecting Nut
    Here is the item I was going to tag you in ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    expat, ddddd, tibor and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Depends on what you paid for it I suppose but if you like it you like it and that's all there is to it.

I was curious. no info on it apparently for sales or population. hahaha trying to find out how many people might have done this with that planchet from that set.
    Capture5603.PNG

That was a fun little research project. I really hope you got a good deal on it. Sullivan in my opinion is a little on the expensive side for most stuff they sell,,, again in my opinion. LOL

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great item to have. I bought the set but I never thought of doing this. If I had, I would have bought more than a single set. A nice addition to your growing collection.

5. paddyman98

Don't worry what I paid for it.. It's for my huge collection of interesting slabs and used for educational purposes. That's not a concern for me or shouldn't be for anyone else.

Collecting Nut and John Burgess like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It certainly isn't for me. It's a great piece to have. I've got to find one now. :D Thanks for posting it.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

That's fine and It's why I said "if you like it you like it and that's all there is to it".
    I have things like that where I wanted it, and that's all there was to it.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

@paddyman98 is there any concrete information that the Blank Planchet is from 2019 (I could not find any info on the US Mint website about that)? I'm guessing the date on the label is a reference to the date the set was issued?

It's not super important but I would have preferred if they put the date on the first line (as follows).

Official US Mint Set (2019)
    1C
    Explore & Discover
    Planchet
    Brilliant Uncirculated
    Cert #

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I think I see Jesus!

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

On the obverse.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

Great question! That's why I created this thread..
    Makes us want to know what's up. I think you could be correct in your thought :wideyed:

The date is in (2019) parentheses!
    But it is still a date!

ddddd likes this.
  12. paddyman98

Holy moly :hilarious:

CoinCorgi and ddddd like this.
  13. paddyman98

Holy Moly :jawdrop:
    61FDoSLsL0L._SL1305_.jpg which-is-holier-holy-mackeral-holy-cannoli-i-thought-it-39338578.png

CoinCorgi and ddddd like this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

There was a thread on the PCGS forums where someone had an off-center cent that only showed "202"...as long as the coin was graded in 2020 I think it is fair to call it a "2020" dated coin on the label but this blank planchet isn't as obvious of a case.

happy_collector and paddyman98 like this.
  15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I would never have thought of having one graded. I assume the set was sent in with instructions to only grade/attribute the blank. Otherwise, what would be the procedure of ascertaining when the blank was from, aside from a generic pre or post zincoln.
    It is fascinating what people come up with

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

¡Vale!
    It truly is.. And that's why I like items such as this one.

expat and ddddd like this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I found the info on the NGC website. The whole set must be graded and it needs to be sent in the sealed box the US Mint shipped.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6225/NGC-US-Mint-Set-Attributions/

EXPLORE & DISCOVER COIN SET (2019)

• Contains one America the Beautiful Quarter, one Native American $1 coin, one Kennedy half dollar, one Roosevelt dime, one Jefferson nickel and one Lincoln penny. Each coin features an "S" or "D" mintmark signifying that they were struck at either the San Francisco or Denver Mints.
    • Available for all submitters.
    • There is no additional fee for this pedigree attribution.
    • Sets must be submitted in the sealed US Mint shipping box.
    • All coins must be graded – you cannot request that specific coins be graded.
    • Request EXPLORE & DISCOVER COIN SET pedigree on the NGC Submission Form.
    • Listed separately in the NGC Census.

expat likes this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ah, NGC. "Sets must be submitted in the sealed US Mint shipping box" -- so, SIX grading fees, for a pig in a poke. Genius!

paddyman98 and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted