1C - 2000 - Wide "AM" or WAM!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by paddyman98, Feb 1, 2018.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    Nothing major today. I just acquired this 1 Cent 2000 Wide "AM" or as it is known as... a WAM!
    Honestly I never bothered with WAM's or CAM's but thought it wouldn't hurt to own one.
    Capture+_2018-02-01-13-42-34.png Capture+_2018-02-01-13-42-51.png

Here is some information on the Cent I have -

2000 Lincoln Memorial Cent Small Cents : Wide AM
    Copper Plated Zinc Penny
    Mintage: N/A
    Minted at: Philadelphia

Designer - Engraver: Frank Gasparro
    Metal Composition: 97.5% Zinc - 2.5% Copper after 1982

Diameter: 19 mm
    Mass / Weight: 2.5 grams

What this coin looks like (obverse, reverse, mint mark location, special features, etc.):
    [​IMG]
    The US Mint produced two major varieties of the 2000 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Penny). The most common variety for 2000 is the close "AM" variety. Although the one shown above is the rarer wide "AM" variety for this year.

In the word "AMERICA" on the reverse of the coin: The close "AM" meant that the letters "A" and "M" were very close and almost touching while the wide "AM" had the two letters separated much more. In Addition: The initials "FG" was closer to the Lincoln Memorial Building on the wide "AM" variety and it was further away on the close "AM" variety. The difference between the close "AM" and wide "AM" varieties are shown in the example image below. Click the image to enlarge:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    LaCointessa, eric6794, ken454 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

KOOL!!! I still have yet to find one of these things in the "raw"; anybody else been luckier (or more skilled)???

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Hey paddyman98 nice WAM I have one with a MAD that I posted a week or so ago my question is I thought they weren't worth getting slab just thought I would ask.
    Dave

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The 2000 WAM is the least sought out after of the WAM's. I wouldn't slab them. I just saw a good deal and purchased it ;)
    $16.00 I paid for a coin that is listed for $21.00!

6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I guess NGC only uses the "WAM" designation and not FS-901?
    I've only found one 2000 WAM and one 1998 WAM in the raw. Still looking for that 1999 WAM or 1992 CAM!

Fallguy and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Ok then I thought I was losing my mind or I should say what's left of it. Lol
    Dave

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

welcome to the WAM club :D

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted