19th Century Liberian Pattern Mint Marks

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dr.Jones, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones Well-Known Member

uploadfromtaptalk1441425092661.png

I have a couple of 19th Century Liberian Pattern 1 & 2 Cent pieces with the Mint Mark "E". Can anyone tell me what mint produced these? I'm guessing Spain?

Thanks for the help!

Hispanicus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can you show us the reverses?

Krause seems to indicate that many of the pattern pieces are unofficial and privately struck, but does not say where. I think the E is a designer's initial.

The mints listed are B - Bern, H - Heaton, (l) - London, and (s) - San Francisco. I'm kind of surprised that they weren't predominantly minted by the US, since they were our colony.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but they were never "our colony". Although they started as a protectorate, they became independent in 1847.

So far as I am aware, all their early coinage was minted in Heaton.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part. My understanding is that it was never "officially" a US colony, but was "colonized" by a society of abolitionists based in the US. They provided a home for freed slaves to return to Africa. Thus, they had very close ties with the US.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is correct and the slaves ruled the country until 1980. They were the longest both independent and democracy in Africa.

7. Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones Well-Known Member

uploadfromtaptalk1441483505349.png

Here's the reverse. Thanks for all of the info guys! Anything else you can think of will be helpful.

treylxapi47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted