19th century intaglio checks

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, May 16, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

Now that's a great reference! Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

1904 US Pension Check
    [​IMG]

1930s US Pension Check. Unfortunately, Treasury went to this uniform, boring style around 1917.
    [​IMG]

Assistant Tresurer's Check 1860s. This was one of the types of checks used by Army Paymasters during and after the Civil War.
    [​IMG]

Judicial Warrant 1880s.
    [​IMG]

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Cool Checks lettow. I see that 1904 US Pension Check has the same portrait of Sheridan as the Series 1896 $5 Silver Certificate.

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Great old checks!!!

6. connor1

connor1 Collector

very nice checks & vignettes lettow !

7. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

This one's my favorite -- love the vignette: it really looks almost like federal currency. And the Judicial draft, I've never seen before. Great stuff!

8. gsalexan

whoops, double post. Is there anyway to totally delete something once you post?

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

For a set amount of time (not sure how long ) you can edit your post I know that. But perhaps someone knows how to totally delete a post that they have made.

10. gsalexan

Attached Files:

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Whoa! So much going on in this one! Look at that crazy script and surrounded by all those vignettes.

12. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I really enjoy that check with Sheridan on it.. just way cool if you ask me.
    Would you mind sharing what info you know on this NY Bank? :D

Thanks for sharing these. All really nice vignettes.

RickieB

13. gsalexan

Just picked up another one of these for under $5. This eagle vignette, printed by American Bank Note Co. shows up on a lot of checks from this era. I like how the underprinted revenue stamp gave an orange tint to the head.

Anyone find a few more of these they want to add to the thread?

Attached Files:

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thank for sharing! that

:thumb: Gem plus!!!

15. KatyDid

KatyDid New Member

Hi guys,

I have been seeking more info on the August Gast Company, in particular (if possible) who some of their artists were. I know this is an old thread, but Google served it up to me. Hoping anyone has any info?

Thanks,

KD

16. gsalexan

17. KatyDid

KatyDid New Member

Ah well, it was worth asking. Thanks for the reply.

:)

18. krispy

krispy krispy

KatyDid: That's all the info that I've yet been able to find on A Gast Co. Curious what brought you to search for it in the first place? Do you have any examples of their work? or are you currently bidding on something by them?

Also, welcome to CT!

19. KatyDid

KatyDid New Member

Hi Krispy,

I am an ephemera dealer, as well as a collector. I recently purchased a Victorian greeting card published by Gast (tiny little publisher's name in lower left corner.) The card itself is damaged, but I love the image so much I'd like to find a better copy. I am trying to determine who the artist was (not one I recognize) so I can search more effectively. Here's the card:

[​IMG]

20. krispy

krispy krispy

She's a cute card. That is not something I know much about, but it's nice to see more depth to these past security printers with an example like this. Have you searched or inquired with Sheaff-ephemera.com? That's about the only one I know for that area of collecting. Good luck in your search and if you do find out more about the Gast company, feel free to update us as it may be relevant to some of the paper money, checks, philatelic, or scripophily collectors here. Thanks for sharing what it is you are interested in. :smile

21. KatyDid

KatyDid New Member

I hadn't been aware of that website, thanks for the tip! If I find out more about Gast I'll be sure to come back and let you all know.

Cheers,

KD

Draft saved Draft deleted