19TH CENTURY FRENCH 5 FRANCS TYPE SET

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by J.A.K., Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

I think another reason to purchase slabbed coins is the increased number of faked world coins out there, especially the larger size coins (38mm). There were some posts on this site recently linking faked coins for sale on eBay, and they were pretty convincing. At least if the coin is submitted for grading, you have the guarantee of the grading company behind it.

Not suggesting the above photos are fakes, just commenting on fakes in general becoming more of an issue than ever (improvements in technology seem to favor the counterfeiters...).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I understand what you are saying. I always check weight and diameter of the coins when I recieve them plus the magnet test. I don't think the coins i'm buying in the $40.00 to $100.00 range are high risk for counterfiets. Now if I were to buy a trade dollar or higher grade coins I might consider slabs, but I would still crack them out for my albums as I have done in the past. To each their own I guess.

beef1020 and joecoincollect like this.
  4. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

2 new ones in from Canada today. A Charles X and a Louis Philippe I. FR11.jpg FR13.jpg

jello and jj00 like this.
  5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Very nice. So how do you store and display them? How far back and forward are you going? Sorry if u answered these questions already

6. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Thanks for the inquiry Joe. I am putting together a type set of 19th century 5 franc silver coins. Starting with the Hercules Group of 1801-1802 (the consulate period) and finishing with the Hercules Group 1878 (third repiblic). There will be 20 types of which I have 9 so far. I am omitting the Napoleon from 1815 (the 100 days) due to cost and the Louis Philippe without the I that is really a variety not a true type in my mind as it was only minted at a couple of mints 1 year. I house the coins in Quadrum 2x2 holders from Lighthouse. 003.JPG

jello likes this.
  7. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Very lovely display and holders. I like those capsules. I'll keep an eye out for them. Did you do some research just from KP catalog, or is there a site you refer to?

8. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Just use the KP catalog. I sure wish they would list diameter for all the coins. It would make ordering holders so much easier.

9. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I have the 1867-A France 5 Franc in PCGS MS62. White screamer and just an all-around awesome coin, even if it's only worth a couple hundred dollars.

jello and J.A.K. like this.
  10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Would love to see a picture.

11. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

fra.1867.a.jpg fra.1867.b.jpg

jj00 and J.A.K. like this.
  12. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Super nice coin, thanks for posting.

13. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Newest addition to my type set. FR17.jpg

jello, jj00 and princeofwaldo like this.
  14. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Found this low grade example in a shop that doesn't always do the research that it should. Got this for $10 which might be less than melt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jello, J.A.K. and jj00 like this.
  15. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Wow, great deal. Thats one I still need. They go for $100-$150 on ebay and with the French dealers online.

16. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

First 5 fr is a fake i got from ebay. Second one is a NGC xf45 and 3rd is also xf45.
    IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0140.JPG 5fr-re.jpg 5fr-ob.jpg

jello, J.A.K. and jj00 like this.
  17. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

J.A.K. and jj00 like this.
  18. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Just arrived today. Louis XVIII 1st restoration. I now have 11 out of 20 5 francs for my type set. 3 more easier ones to go, then will have to start saving for the more expensive early Napoleons and Consulate. FR8.jpg

jj00 and jello like this.
  19. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Well two new ones arrived yesterday. a Louis Philipp FR12.jpg FR15.jpg e I and a 2nd Republic Liberty Head.

20. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

New addition to my type set. FR16.jpg

jj00 likes this.
  21. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Here's the 14 coins I have so far. FR0-tile.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted