19TH CENTURY FRENCH 5 FRANCS TYPE SET

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by J.A.K., Dec 26, 2014.

1. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

FR19.jpg FR20.jpg FR7.jpg Hello, I've been a lurker for about a year. Decided to join today. I collect world coins in type sets. these are my 5 franc coins so far. FR7.jpg FR18.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1st
    Welcome to Cointalk.
    Wow your working on a very nice French coin I do not know much about but have seen some MS 60 - 65 at coin shows they are high value coin in MS grade from what price I have seen

5. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

spirityoda likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nice. I think the only 19th century 5 Franc I own is a gold one.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

a very impressive set. my favorite coin was at the bottom. some day I want 1 of those. :blackalien: welcome to CT. I really look forward to seeing more of your coin collection.

8. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

My 19th C. 5 Franc is also gold. Looks like the silver ones are all a hefty 25 grams! I love those big old silver coins. There sure are a lot of different ones listed in the Standard Catalog!

Rob

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

very awesome coins

10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. There are 22 types listed in Krause, my set will consist of 20 of them. Jello, I wish I could afford MS but the budget doesn't allow, lol. I like the dark toned look of the VF-EF, it gives them character.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I hear ya MS grades are also outside my pocket money anymore. If folks tell ya retirement is great that old news ! It's okay but you have budget anything days of mad money are gone. I wish I had picked up to many coins back 10 - 15 years ago because they were dirt cheap. But not today. You gotta nice start and maybe even better start than most just keep doing what you done so far I'm sure you have what you want. :)

spirityoda likes this.
  12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Are these graded by a TPG? If not, would you ever consider buying one graded? Sometimes you can't see everything in pictures and the graded ones give you a better sense of security. I have some 5 francs graded and raw

13. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Speaking of coin prices going up...Do you think that eBay has contributed somewhat to the prices going up?

14. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I don't usually by coins in slabs. I mostly collect foriegn and they are normally found raw. When I do buy in slabs I crack them out to put in albums or in Lighthouse Quadrum 2x2. Many of my type collections are in 1960's Whitman albums that I also collect. I don't collect high end coins that need to be authenticated or graded like US coins. Though more power to those that do.

chrisild likes this.
  15. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

J.A.K.,
    Quite a beautiful set of coins and in awesome condition. I've attached my 5 Franc Lille mint coin of Louis Philippe who represented the last gasp of the Bourbon dynasty 5 Franc Obverse.jpg 5 Franc Reverse.jpg

spirityoda and J.A.K. like this.
  16. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

17. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Very nice coin, lots of detail. It's hard to find them without hairlines or some type of cleaning, as it seems the Europeons have had a habit of cleaning their coins as did Americans in the past. At least thats what I have found from most of the French dealers. I'm watching a EF toned one on ebay now, saving up as I'm over my coin budget for the month.

jello and spirityoda like this.
  18. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Europeans certainly like their cleaned coins. I picked that piece up and a few other crowns that are tough to find in the U.S. at an outdoor coin show in Barcelona. Virtually everything offered was cleaned, but the prices asked were lower than what I would pay here so I jumped on them.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yup we all have cleaned a coin at sometime:(.
    But we learn somthing Not Too do it again :happy:

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I clean them all of the time, but I leared how to do it properly so it's not improper cleaning. I agree new people should never try to clean until shown how to do it properly.

jello likes this.
  21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yeah knowledge is the key.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted