1999 Roosevelt Dime Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Gecko99, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Gecko99

Gecko99 New Member

I have a Philadelphia Roosevelt dime, that looks like part of it may be a grease strike on the obverse and reverse, but the reason I really want to post this is the fact that it does not have a reeded edge. Now i know some of you may dismiss it right away as filing for scrap or maybe even a dryer coin. it is the same thickness and weight that it should be, 0.08 OZ(2.268 g). The edge has part of the clad layer visible, and there is no evidence of it being hammered since its not misshapen. Let me know what you think please!!
    20200124_0030301.jpg 20200124_0030501.jpg 20200124_0032291.jpg 20200124_0033051.jpg 20200124_0033131.jpg 20200124_0033301.jpg 20200124_0036131.jpg 20200124_0037111.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The edge is damaged.
    If you understood the minting process you would know that there are 3 dies. The Hammer Die, the Anvil Die and the Collar Die. The first two create the Obvere and Reverse image. The third holds the Blank Planchet in place and has the reed design. When the Planchet is struck with many tons of pressure the third die creates the reeds on the edge. The only time the reeds are not created is when it is Broadstruck meaning it was struck out of the collar. Your Dime is obviously not Broadstruck because in that case the it would be larger in circumference than normal.

Either someone hammered or Spooned your dime. Something that we have seen many times before.

The surface is just circulation damage.

The weight does not matter. Coins could have a plus or minus in weight variance to begin with. So it could of been a liitle bit heavier and with and small loss in material it could still be the correct weight it should be afterwards.

Lastly.. Mostly all clad coins show the inner copper on the edge. The clad is applied to both sides before the blanks are punched from the long sheets of coin stock.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's damaged. As @paddyman98 said, the coining chamber has a collar. The collar on dimes, quarters, and halves is grooved and that's what forms the reeding on the edge. If the collar wasn't there or malfunctioned, the struck planchet would spread out (Broadstrike error).

Regardless of what caused the damage (Machining, dryer coin, hammer, etc), it didn't leave the mint like that.

That's why some of us can dismiss this right away as a damaged coin. As you learn the minting and die making process, and study lots of coins, you understand what can and can't occur at the mint. What do you think we do, randomly guess? :facepalm:

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your last image is the "giveaway" that your dime was probably spooned (PMD). You can see that the spooned coin (top coin) is slightly smaller in diameter. ~ Chris

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Actually, technically, there's no evidence of it being "heavily" hammered.
    one could always do light tapping with a light jewelers hammer.
    One can look into and research the business/hobby of using coins for various jewelry, rings, and other things to see all this occurring.

But anyways, if you carefully look at the surface I think you'll see indications of heat damage. Of course, that does not remove the possibility of it also have grease filled die at the time. There can be more than one occurrence of something happening to a coin at the mint, and subsequently afterwards too.

Gecko99 likes this.
  7. Gecko99

Gecko99 New Member

Thank you all!! This is one reason I am so happy to have found this to be able to talk to other collectors, I get to learn so much!!(also what does spooning mean?) @paddyman98 @Oldhoopster @cpm9ball @Clawcoins

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I "borrowed" this image from a post of @paddyman98 . He likes to use it as an example.
    [​IMG]
    ~ Chris

Gecko99 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Wow...thank you for taking the time to explain this. I always learn a lot from your posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted