1999 P Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VistaCruiser69, Jun 18, 2021.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

1BA9A5EF-1CC7-445B-874B-DFB17D3A237D.jpeg 41F31008-B29F-4C6E-BE0A-5B99895C1026.jpeg 5A448CB5-2CA7-414E-8812-DFDE66503B47.jpeg 63010BBA-4E90-4D51-94B6-B8DC73DB9758.jpeg 9B1B8953-D00C-4FAC-B2C1-DE77353B255E.jpeg I got this odd ball quarter in my change today. First what caught my eye was that it’s not got the usual copper core visible on the reeds. I thought at first “great, one of those high school chemistry lab experiments again.” But then I noticed a few other odd things as well. Putting it next to another quarter, it’s just a hair thinner and slightly smaller in diameter compared to the other quarter. It also felt a hair lighter in weight compared to the other quarter. So when I got home I wieghed it against the other quarter I had. Sure enough, it does weigh a bit less. It doesn’t look like a dryer coin or too worn / damaged. Any ideas? First pic is of the weight of the quarter I’m comparing it to.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

No idea but looks fine to me . Probably just nothing . :nailbiting:

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

honestly when it comes to state quarters a bit off weight and a bit off when it comes to the copper edge is ok. However if the reeding was to go into the the collar of the coin it would be considered a partial collar but I dont see anything to suggest that.

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Weight should be 5.67g. First weight is over a bit. Second one is under a bit.

The tolerance is +/- 0.227g
    Meaning it could vary in weight from 5.443g to 5.897g. Both weights shown fall to within acceptable tolerance limits from the mint.

If it's weighing under 5.44 or over 5.90 it would be out of tolerance and should have been rejected before use.

My opinion. Slightly thin copper and underweight but still within tolerance, and the clad wrapped around the edge in the strike because of that. Also probably why the strike isn't centered on both sides both at K6. Slightly lighter planchet and spread funky in the strike although that could be unrelated and the dies just needed adjustment.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The clads come out like that sometime, you haven't seen enough to know. From the dimes to the halves...

7. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it. Too bad, I was hoping to have found a real error of some type. Well, like they say, I'll just keep plugging away at it....

Draft saved Draft deleted