1999 P Georgia State Quarter-Question about error on Reverse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I noticed on this 1999 P Georgia State Quarter that there are multiple errors on the reverse. Would like some help verifying what they are. I see the Reverse of the coin has a MAD with a rim fin, a die chip in the "D" of Wisdom, a die crack in the ribbon above the "M" in Wisdom, and another issue at the very end of the upper part of the ribbon. It looks like the ribbon has 3 points at the end now. What is this? 1999 P Georgia State Quarter (Reverse).jpg 1999 P Georgia State Quarter (Reverse)  (Close Up).jpg 1999 P Georgia State Quarter (Obverse).jpg Is this error also found on other 1999 P Georgia State Quarters?? (See close up photo).

The obverse also looks like it has a rim issue. Is this a Misaligned Die?

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Probably. That is caused by a worn die.
    Common. Nothing major and no added premium.

1stSgt22 and Spark1951 like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I think the more important question is if this is an experimental planchet error. Does the coin weigh more than 5.9 gm? Also, check the edge of the coin for the telltale sandwich of metals.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Experimental planchet"? Do you also hold seances? ~ Chris

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice photos and thanks for posting full images.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

8. cpm9ball

9. Azlynn

Azlynn New Member

Is there copper lines on the rim like most quarters ? If not you could have a quarter worth $10,000 . Also weigh it if it weighs 5.9 - 6.1 grams I definitely would have it looked at by a professional.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nah.. I'm thinking double that amount.. $20,000

:banghead:

1stSgt22 likes this.
  11. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

The coin weighs 5.71 grams. The quarter has copper lines on the rim also.

1stSgt22 and Robert Ransom like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Photo of coin edge?

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Basically a normal quarter that was minted by a worn die and has seen its share of circulation.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  14. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Here is a photo of the coin's edge. But my main question was regarding the extra piece of metal off the bottom of the ribbon. (See Photo #2). It now looks like there is a 3rd edge to the ribbon. I have not seen this mentioned before. Georgia State Quarter Rim.jpg Georgia State Quarter Close Up Error.jpg .

15. Robert Ransom

First, the weight is within tolerance. Second, the ribbon tip appears to have taken a hit. You will notice the upper (original) tip of the ribbon is thinner and flatter than the lower tip, therefore, my opinion is the displaced material caused by a hit to the coin caused this anomaly, ie. PMD, post mint damage. Personally, I like the coin and would keep it for a conservation piece.

17. cpm9ball

I agree that the tip of the ribbon has taken a hit which sliced a small segment downward. I say this because I have several dozen uncirculated 1999-P GA SQ's that came from Mint bags, and none of them have this damage.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

His holiness paddyman has spoken. Now you can spend it.

19. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

On the die, part of the D of WISDOM chipped off, leaving the incuse letter incomplete on the coin.

20. Connie Lowe

Connie Lowe New Member

I have a 1999 P quarter dollar that has multiple errors and weighs 5.59 grams. The odd thing is that it is dark brown and feels strange to the touch

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best to start a new thread and post photos of both sides. Sounds like your coin was found in the ground and suffers from ED, environmental damage. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted