1999 experimental quarter with no copper in rim?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by James R, Nov 6, 2019.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No!

It's plated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It can't be struck on an SBA planchet, experimental or otherwise, because an SBA planchet wouldn't fit in a quarter striking chamber. It's too big.

It looks like it may be platinum-plated. The big home-shopping companies love to push platinum-plated quarters; even though the metal is duller than silver, it's "precious", so people will pay multiple dollars for the quarter plus a penny or two worth of platinum.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

100% not experimental.
    Plated as everyone has said. It is incredibly common post mint damage.
    You could have a Susan B that was struck on a smaller quarter planchet,
    which would be a good error. But not the other way around. The coin must be the same size or smaller in order to fit.
    Since your coin is only worth a quarter, if you would like to damage it a little further, you will indeed see that there is copper inside. Scrape some of the plating off, and it will be exposed.

Spark1951, wxcoin and Stevearino like this.
  5. Suffice it to say....when you know nothing about a subject...ask 10 people what their responses are.....and when you find those "two or three people who say essentially the same exact thing but differently...and they are the only ones making sense out of all those others which require people guessing what's required to make a "mis-STEAK" in the mass production lines of coins and other things that get in the way when coins are struck...in a special, unique collection of printing and other errors which make for some serious cash when you FINALLY found one that you can call your own....man, as a kid....had a "SKY BLUE" color on the obverse side of THAT dollar bill...took it to my bank to check if it was counterfeit...the teller then said, "Would you like ANOTHER BILL instead?....Uh, NO, thanks for the OFFER anyways....but I THINK I should keep it!!! And foolishness too now that it is thought of now....because that dollar somehow got spent buying a milky way candy bar for 25 Cents....THAT is one of the worse case scenarios a coin collector will remember to the end of days...but, perhaps lightning will strike me one more again? The MONEY GODDESS does not give to those who do not recognize the treasures in their own hands....and sometimes those 8 other people (in the group of 10 people) may be partially correct with their own estimations too? Stranger things have happened than misshappened coins, or dates which are blurred for some strange reason?

6. Suffice it to say....when you know nothing about a subject...ask 10 people what their responses are.....and when you find those "two or three people who say essentially the same exact thing but differently...and they are the only ones making sense out of all those others which require people guessing what's required to make a "mis-STEAK" in the mass production lines of coins and other things that get in the way when coins are struck...in a special, unique collection of printing and other errors which make for some serious cash when you FINALLY found one that you can call your own....man, as a kid....had a "SKY BLUE" color on the obverse side of THAT dollar bill...took it to my bank to check if it was counterfeit...the teller then said, "Would you like ANOTHER BILL instead?....Uh, NO, thanks for the OFFER anyways....but I THINK I should keep it!!! And foolishness too now that it is thought of now....because that dollar somehow got spent buying a milky way candy bar for 25 Cents....THAT is one of the worse case scenarios a coin collector will remember to the end of days...but, perhaps lightning will strike me one more again? The MONEY GODDESS does not give to those who do not recognize the treasures in their own hands....and sometimes those 8 other people (in the group of 10 people) may be partially correct with their own estimations too? Stranger things have happened than misshappened coins, or dates which are blurred for some strange reason?

7. Suffice it to say....when you know nothing about a subject...ask 10 people what their responses are.....and when you find those "two or three people who say essentially the same exact thing but differently...and they are the only ones making sense out of all those others which require people guessing what's required to make a "mis-STEAK" in the mass production lines of coins and other things that get in the way when coins are struck...in a special, unique collection of printing and other errors which make for some serious cash when you FINALLY found one that you can call your own....man, as a kid....had a "SKY BLUE" color on the obverse side of THAT dollar bill...took it to my bank to check if it was counterfeit...the teller then said, "Would you like ANOTHER BILL instead?....Uh, NO, thanks for the OFFER anyways....but I THINK I should keep it!!! And foolishness too now that it is thought of now....because that dollar somehow got spent buying a milky way candy bar for 25 Cents....THAT is one of the worse case scenarios a coin collector will remember to the end of days...but, perhaps lightning will strike me one more again? The MONEY GODDESS does not give to those who do not recognize the treasures in their own hands....and sometimes those 8 other people (in the group of 10 people) may be partially correct with their own estimations too? Stranger things have happened than misshappened coins, or dates which are blurred for some strange reason?

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know how did the owner obtain these coins from the US Mint?

Draft saved Draft deleted