1999 experimental quarter with no copper in rim?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by James R, Nov 6, 2019.

1. James R

James R Active Member

I found a 1999 p quarter with no copper in the edge of the coin, it does not appear to be plated. What do you guys think? D29D606B-A511-457C-B711-B6B1DEDA4E06.jpeg 67A22574-3780-4781-A1A9-6B492AE8BB64.jpeg 2857A6C9-94F3-4689-BA4D-885980410441.jpeg 59182AEE-14E5-4F06-8FAC-8359A899711A.jpeg B2821268-E9F2-4178-8FFB-83C9AC1F0CAD.jpeg 4A8AC404-C3E7-45D7-899D-41490E668993.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

First picture is overexposed and super-blurry, others are shadowed and still blurry. Try propping it vertically between two books, so that the top of the rim is about even with the books. Take a picture of that, your camera will focus on the books, and the coin will be in focus too.

Having said all that, though:

a) Weight, to the nearest tenth (or better, hundredth) of a gram?

b) Marketers plated many, many thousands of these. If you can't see copper in the rim, it's almost certainly plated. Why do you say it doesn't appear to be? (You have a much clearer view of it than we do...)

4. James R

James R Active Member

Okay let me try that I’ll repost

5. James R

James R Active Member

It’s not shiny but rather dull

6. James R

James R Active Member

7. James R

James R Active Member

Is it possible it got struck on a Susan b Anthony planchet?

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like the Quarter has been plated.

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. James R

James R Active Member

At the edge there is a separation of metals but they are both nickel colored.

10. James R

James R Active Member

What’s weird is the quarter is very dull... 97DCA216-8BD8-48CC-888B-8C2D17D7658B.jpeg FFE429E7-46C4-452A-A333-AD36F58E0240.jpeg FFE429E7-46C4-452A-A333-AD36F58E0240.jpeg

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it had been plated to me.

Chris

12. James R

James R Active Member

The color of the rim doesn’t match the surface of the quarter either, or at I just imagining?

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I still say it's plated.

14. James R

James R Active Member

I’ll update you with weight tomorrow

15. James R

James R Active Member

Do the experimental quarters have a different mass?

16. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

SBA Dollars minted at Philadelphia were Clad coins. You should be able to see the copper on the edge. (Outer layer of CN bonded to a inner core of pure copper). I vote for your coin being plated on a clad quarter planchet.

17. James R

James R Active Member

A couple close up, I guess I’m not seeing the signs of plating is all. The heritage auction page says there are four different kinds of experimental planchets, one with a green color and no copper core.

Attached Files:

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Would you be so kind as to post a link to Heritage where they explain that. I'd like to learn about them. Thank you.
    I did find this: https://www.numismaticnews.net/ideas/experimental-planchets-used-for-state-quarters
    And This: https://www.ha.com/c/search-results...al+planchets&N=790+231&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515
    I don't know how many the US Mint produced or what they did with the experimental coins but the odds of finding one in circulation, IMO would be astronomical. Be nice if your coin was one of them.
    EDIT. Looking further I found this site. If you scroll down you'll see they claim only 15 State Quarter experimental planchets were struck. What are the odds that you have one? https://minterrornews.com/faq.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  19. James R

James R Active Member

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It was plated and circulated after that.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Believing? Believing what? Did you read this part? Are you color blind?

"The first type has the color of a Sacagawea Dollar and a copper center core. The second type has the color of the Sacagawea Dollar but does not have the copper center core. The third type has a slight green coloration and a copper center core. The fourth type has a slight green coloration but does not have the copper center core."

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted