1999 Double Die Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Monsoon, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

My mother-in-law came across this penny....I have not seen another one like this one on the net yet....any thoughts would be great. Thanks penny 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Looks as it was triple struck. Need to see the reverse.

4. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

the back looks like it was double struck but it did not move. It is just very deep edges. I will try to get a picture tomorrow though.

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This looks like a altered coin to me but as of now I'm not going to say it is . I have never been able to find out how folks makes the altered coins that looks like this one and even better. I think I have a few ideas on how it's done but just not sure. I am convinced that it is not double or triple struck because when a coin is double struck directly over the first strike the second strike coin die almost completely wipes out the details of the first strike.

Not very long ago a few corrupt sellers were selling the altered state quarters and other man made error coins that appeard to look like they were struck numerous times with three or more sets of perfect details showing on the reverse or obverse of the coins and the other side normal. These devestated a lot of buyers until the crooks got slowed down. the altered coins were selling for huge prices. Always remember that if a coin is doublestruck on one side then if it is a real mint error the other side of the coin should also be doublestruck.

This coin may be something I don't know about so don't pay much attention to me. I'm just giving my opinion.

6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Oops I just thought of something else after taking another look. This coin may have been struck thru a very late stage capped die . but anyway folks be on the lookout for the type of altered coins I mentioned in my other post.

7. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Ok. It looks triple stuck. And its Doubled died.

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Please explain.

Draft saved Draft deleted