1999 double die Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kurt242424, Mar 3, 2024.

1. kurt242424

kurt242424 New Member

What would this be worth has strong doubling on most of the lettering and numbers

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

There are no varieties listed for 1999-P at Variety Vista. It honestly looks like Machine/Mechanical/Strike doubling which is the worthless kind.

You could try Brian’s Nickels to try to find a match but don’t get your hopes up…imo…Spark

Cazador, Kevin Mader and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Heavy die deterioration. It's not a doubled die.
    Notice how the doubling wraps around the devices.

5. kurt242424

kurt242424 New Member

Its still pretty cool tho , so its not worth much? Like how much $100 maybe...?

6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

No, Kurt, it’s not worth more than face value. 5 cents USD. $0.05…one-half of the value of a dime…1/20th of a dollar.

Please, I’m begging you…tell all of us why you think this is worth $100…Spark

Coinismatics2000 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

More like..
    762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

And the correct Numismatic terminology is Doubled Die not double die. Big difference.
    Remember that o_O

SensibleSal66 and Spark1951 like this.
  8. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

You might find one for sale on Etsy or eBay for an outrageous sum, and someone might even pay it who foolishly thought they were getting a rarity. But a knowledgeable collector or dealer would pay five cents because they are quite common. On the other hand, it is a very good example of worthless die deterioration doubling, and that is kinda cool. You should keep it to compare with others you will find. The lesson learned will be very valuable and you will have only spent five cents for it! I call that a bargain. Some people pay a lot more for the same lesson.

JoshuaP, paddyman98 and Spark1951 like this.
  9. kurt242424

kurt242424 New Member

I think its worth $100 because the reason it has the doubling look is because the machine did malfunction other than a real double die that was intentionally made to do so . So this nickel is actually an accident

10. paddyman98

No. You are wrong. Mechanical doubling and Die deterioration doubling have no premium.
    It is NOT worth $100.00 o_O

That is why they are considered worthless doubling!

If it did all coin collectors would be Billionaires because they are the most common issues found on all denominations :banghead:

Suggestion.. don't ask "How much would this be worth?"
    First ask what the issues could be. Learn the differences.
    We have plenty of knowledge to share with you. Not everything you find in circulation have high premiums.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Coinismatics2000 likes this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Send the OP a Postal Money Order. I'm sure he would take that for it. Education doesn't come cheap. Online advice does.

Z

12. kurt242424

kurt242424 New Member

Even tho its suchastrong mechaic doubling
    There is an error coin that is the same year and mint thatthe p has strong doubling on it . This coin has that too but its also everywhere else on the coin pretty strong , i can see with naked eye

13. paddyman98

You can think and believe all you want. It doesn't make it correct. It's still worthless doubling.

14. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Kurt,

Head to the bank and buy a box of nickels to look through. You will find dozens of specimens like yours or even worse. Your specimen was created by an aging die set and in loose equipment. You have both DD and MD doubling on your specimen, a common occurrence during the minting process.

Your nickel is worth a nickel. And from a collectors view point, it wouldn't be collectable for the reasons offered. It's a spender...and will stay that way.

Good luck on the hunt!!

Spark1951 and Coinismatics2000 like this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It has to be die doubling, Kurt. Yours is strike doubling. It's not worth nothing, as aforesaid. Or anything, it's not worth that, neither.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  16. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

It looks like five cents to me !!!!!!!!!!!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  17. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is die deterioration doubling, where the die was overused and hammered so much that the die eventual flatten and the design pushed outward. So its not from any error on the die itself, it was damaged due to overuse. Worth face value except for the unknowing on Itsy, Facebook, eBay, or others that are either uneducated in the area or just after the "CASH" asked from the unknowing. You will find 100,000 of such coin before you find one worth true DD value. Jim

Neal likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a doubled die but a nice example of what a worn die can create.

20. ela

ela New Member

I still have a lot to learn

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

5 cents

Draft saved Draft deleted