1999 Dime Cladding Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Billyray, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

It looks like part of the cladding is missing near the date on the obverse. Or maybe a piece of copper was struck on the edge. Not sure, but almost missed it lol. The closeup isn't that good, gonna try the "loupe in front of the camera trick". The copper goes almost all the way to the tail of the 9.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I think that is called a foldover. A bit of the copper core was folded over and was struck into the rim and field when the coin was struck. Cool find.

4. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Here's another closeup with the copper visible

[​IMG]

5. LEG END

LEG END Junior Member

Really cool whatever it turns out to be!

6. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

hey hobo does that effect the grading process?

7. jonsullivan

jonsullivan New Member

It looks like a "rolling fold", which is from the blanking die creating a cud on the unstruck planchet, and with the cud then being struck into the coin's surface when it was struck into a coin. Very scarce error type if that's what it is. Otherwise, it's either a partially missing clad layer (I doubt it is), or it could be a rim burr.

Jon

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's right. I got the name wrong.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I suppose it could. It is a planchet error. While error collectors would like the coin in high grade the dime collectors would probably prefer a coin without the error.

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I don't see a cud on this coin. A cud is caused by a broken die (which has broken away) at the edge.

11. jonsullivan

jonsullivan New Member

The cud occurred before the coin was struck, and was on the blank itself. The blanking die broke causing a raised area of metal on the blank. When the blank went through the upset mill, the "cud" was pushed over slightly towards the field of the blank. When the blank was later struck into a coin, the "cud" was struck into the coin's surfaces. This is how a rolling fold occurs (or you could simply call it a blanking die cud-the term "rolling fold" doesn't really describe the error very well in my opinion, and "blanking die cud" works better because it's more descriptive as to how the error actually occurred."

Jon

12. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

I found a similar one on a state quarter, although it was a bit larger, and sold it on Ebay for $20. I'd say yours would fetch $3-$5.

13. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

jonsullivan's explanation is inaccurate. You can't have a CUD on a blank or a planchet. A CUD is the result of a die breaking at the edge and that piece falling away. Coins subsequently struck by that die will have a raised area that corresponds to where the die had a missing portion.

Simply put, a Cud can occur only on a struck coin as the die is what caused the CUD.

This coin exhibits a tiny piece of the copper core that was folded over and struck into the rim and a small portion of the obverse. It is intersting but by no means rare.

Thanks,
    Bill

14. jonsullivan

jonsullivan New Member

Bill,

What happens to a blank which is punched out of the metal strip by a blanking die which has broken off a piece of it's die surface? What kind of error would you call that if not a cud (aka a major die break.)

Jon

15. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

A cud is a striking error, any error mentioning "die" is the hammer and anvil striking dies. The others would be called planchet errors.

16. jonsullivan

jonsullivan New Member

There is also a "blanking die" which is a die with no design which is used to punch the blanks out of the planchet strip. If the die has a part of it's surface break, the planchet it punches out will have a raised area of metal in the same way that a "cud" is created on a coin.

Jon

17. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Yes, but that would be a planchet error, not a striking error

Draft saved Draft deleted