1999 Delaware State Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Myka Gilliam, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Myka Gilliam

Myka Gilliam Newbie hobbyist, just trying to gain knowledge

Hi! Okay so i need help. Ive had this quarter for years and occasionally try to find out information on it but haven't learned much. The reverse side is a flat brown color like nutmeg but the obverse is as shiny and silver as it gets. I've read that there are about a dozen or so of the state quarters that were struck on an experimental planchet. Do you upload_2022-10-3_17-3-47.png upload_2022-10-3_17-4-21.png think this could possibly be one of those?

upload_2022-10-3_17-4-21.png
    upload_2022-10-3_17-3-47.png

GoOoldmember likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Can you get edge pictures.

4. Myka Gilliam

Yes! Doing that now. One moment please

5. Myka Gilliam

6. Myka Gilliam

7. potty dollar 1878

Interesting,photos aren't the best but the edge looks normal to me.Can you weigh it?If correct your coin would be missing the reverse clad layer which is pretty common for these but nonetheless a nice find if so.

8. Myka Gilliam

I can weigh it but it'll be about an hour or so before I get to a scale. So if it weighs as a normal quarter it's missing the clad layer? What is that weight? I'm guessing if it's one of the quarters struck on an experimental planchet it would weigh heavier? I have several coins I need opinions on, I just didn't want to look stupid so I never did. Until now lol I'll get that weight asap and lyk. Ty!

9. potty dollar 1878

Don't say that you won't,we're here to help.If the coin is missing its clad layer the weight should be a decent amount less.Like for example originally it should be within 5.67 grams average.With a missing clad layer in the condition it's in approximately a gram less it should be,but I'm pretty certain you have a winner already.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Myka Gilliam

What if it's 5.9? Is my scale accurate? That sounds way wrong

11. potty dollar 1878

Yes it does,@paddyman98 can you confirm on what you think about it.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The weight means nothing because all coins can have a +/- variance in weight without or with missing clad layer on one side.

It might be a missing clad layer.
    Interesting.

13. potty dollar 1878

That's exactly what I said it can be a little differento_Oo_Obut why say it doesn't matter?especially for this situation,so your saying even if this coin was around a gram light it wouldn't matter?.

14. Myka Gilliam

Bought a new scale. Weighed it several times. 4.6 every time. So that's most likely one with a missing clad layer?

Pickin and Grinin and alurid like this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

That falls very close to the nominal quarter weight of 4.67 grams and well within the tolerance (and may even be closer if your scale only has a resolution to only 0.1 gram).

It's possible for missing clad layers to weigh close to normal depending on how the defect occurred during rolling and punching, but it has been my understanding that the most likely cause is that the is a large void or unadhered region is located between the layers and when the blank is punched, those layers fall apart. That's why many/most missing clad layers are light weight

Just from my observation, I don't think the edges look like right. I can't really see the distinct separation between the copper and remaining clad. It looks a lot like the staining you would see from environmental toning/damage

Interesting coin, but that's why I don't believe it's a missing clad error

16. Myka Gilliam

Th
    The brown color looks to go all the way down the side of it. I'm trying to get better pictures. I just don't want to pay to get it graded if it's not going to be worth more than what that costs. I've just never seen one quite like this though and it's really interesting. Here it is next to another 1999 state quarter. Mine is on the left. I also noticed it's slightly smaller. What could cause that? Thank you for all the help ! 20221004_095256.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted