1999 delaware quarter?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Feb 20, 2020.

1. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

On the reverse at area of horse's butt is a small anomaly that look like the horse has diarrhea running down it's butt. Is this possibly dropped filling from the tail.

20200220_134111.jpg 20200220_134132.jpg 0219-15.jpg 0219-11.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Kind of gross, lol. Is it raised?

4. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Yes it is raised. 0220-10.jpg

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Yes, but there is nothing on dropped filling from a design element. It only says it can fall from a design as well as letters and numbers.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You'd poop like that too if Paul Revere rode you like he rode that horse. Lol

Danomite and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you sure it is raised? ~ Chris

9. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

He rode them pretty hard. Lol

10. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Yes, i gave it the fingernail test. It is raised.

11. Pickin and Grinin

What is the fascination with strike throughs, dropped elements etc.?
    This is none of those. Even if it was, these are not even collectable unless they are in your face and in high mint state coin. When you find an actual strike though you won't be able to miss it.

What you are seeing is most likely a die dent of some sort. Usual of die deterioration and are found on many clad state quarters.
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Die+dent

I think Chris has one of those Kansas Quarters.
    @cpm9ball

Danomite likes this.
  12. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Die dents are not raised, they only appear raised. It's not a fascination it is coin collecting. Either they're out there or not. I believe they are. Thanks.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Lets think about this. There is a dent in the die. that would mean it is recessed on the die and would make the area raised on the coin whether or not you think so.
    It's common cents.
    Ok, whatever floats your boat. All I have seen from you is damaged coins that you try and attribute as a strike through. I just hate to see someone not seeing the bigger picture. Carry on.

Danomite and paddyman98 like this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A dent (or recessed) area in the die will show up as a raised area on the coin. Do some experiments with play-doh.

The reverse die has been ridden hard and put away wet. Lots of flow lines and deterioration. My guess is that it might be a light die chip on a very worn die, but I wouldn’t argue if people said it was just die deterioration (look at the rough, uneven surfaces all around the horse).

Even if it’s a die chip, it’s minor. Normally this type of chip adds no value, but you may find some interest due to the “location”. I would put it in a 2x2 if I found it

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

IMHO, the flow of the metal in that area suggests die deterioration. The more raised area is just a more severe form of that deterioration. Uneven metal flow.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A die dent would be raised on the coin.

BINGO! We have a winner!

17. cpm9ball

Wrong! Look up this Die Dent in the CPG......2005-S KS Silver Proof, FS-901. Here is the one I sold about 8 years ago.
    2005-S KS Silver SQ FS-901.JPG
    2005-S KS Silver SQ NGC PF70UCAM.JPG

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

I looked for one of those, and never found one. Must of searched a
    1000 proof sets.

19. cpm9ball

When the CPG finally classified it as a variety in 2012, they commented, "To date, fewer than two dozen of these have been reported. Surely more exist."

I'm guessing that it is probably fewer than two dozen. They have only been reported in the full Silver Proof Set, not the SQ Proof Set. Of the four sets that I received from the Mint, I found two of the sets with the KS Die Dent, but I gave one of the sets to a friend whom I had included in my order. When the Coin World article was published about a collector in the southwest US who supposedly found ten sets with the Die Dent, they reported that he had distributed them as Christmas presents to family members. That would make twelve sets known, but there have never been any others reported since then.

The die dent is so clearly visible to the naked eye that I don't see how the Mint employees who were processing the proof coins by hand could possibly miss them. It is my guess that once the error was discovered that any other damaged coins were removed, but nothing was done to check any of the sets previously put together, awaiting shipping. ~ Chris

20. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Here are better pics i hope that shows the characteristics of a dropped filling error. Notice that there is metal in the midst of the filling which would eliminate a die dent. I hope these are helpful.

0220-12.jpg 0220-9.jpg 0220-3.jpg 0220-5.jpg 0220_1.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

That looks more like a retained die chip and IDB than a die dent.
    Definitely in the early stages. Good Photos Avery.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted