1999 Delaware Aluminum quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Nick62174, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Nick62174

Nick62174 Junior Member

I recently found an 1999 aluminun delaware quarter in my possesion. I was going to turn it into the bank as a fake. Has anyone seen this and is it worth anything. The quarter is near mint....and side by side an exact duplicate.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Any chance of getting some pictures of it?

4. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Don't turn it in; it's likely not counterfeit.

There is almost no chance that anyone would bother counterfeiting quarters in aluminum, as they would be so easily detected, being so light.

Get us some decent pictures, and we'll help you figure out what you have.

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes, please post pics and the experts here will help you. Also, if you can weight it, that would be helpful as well.

6. Nick62174

Nick62174 Junior Member

I have to get some better pics...but for now here are some... also the coin is stamped "s" under "in god we trust" ...

Attached Files:

7. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

What you have is a proof coin from a mint set. It probably has a different ring to it which is why you noticed it. If you look at the edge of the coin, does it have the regular silver and copper layer or is it all silver color? If it is all silver you probably have a 90% silver proof coin.

8. Nick62174

Nick62174 Junior Member

Its all silver...and very light....with the odd sounding noise when mixed with other change....it is possible it's silver...wife tried to put in coin start by accident and it rejected it several times....Thank god! I have silver quarters...this seems unusally light....I will have to try to get a weight.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It looks like a silver proof to me... Still worth a couple of bucks.

If you had a scale that weighed in grams... and could weigh it we could be 100% but it sure looks like a silver proof to me.

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Glad it rejected it for you because it is worth quite a bit more than 25 cents.

Where did you find this quarter?

11. ldphillips

ldphillips Junior Member

My husband got one of these back as change from a gas station. It is NOT silver. It is much lighter than any other silver coin and it sounds different when hit.

Ours is the same as the one described except with a more recent year.

12. Nick62174

Nick62174 Junior Member

I got it from a super market as change for my purchase....i heard the strange sound when i put in my pocket...it is very light...like aluminum! which is why i said that in the first post....i live near west point, NY. and i hear they have a mint....who knows!

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The West Point Mint produces only bullion coins like SAE's, AGE's etc.

If the coin makes a somewhat dull noise when you drop it, it could be aluminum, but the photos are too small for me to determine anything visually.

Chris

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Very interesting.

Thanks for weighing in.

Even if these prove to be fake (which seems likely) they might have some significant premium as a curiousity.

Surely a counterfeiter wouldn't expect aluminum coins to be able to circulate so there's no readily apparent answer to this.

15. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Debate is of little use until we have a reliable weight on these.

Henning counterfeited nickels, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone decided to counterfeit quarters.

On the other hand:

1) Counterfeiting in aluminum seems downright silly.

2) The photographs provided seem to have quite a bit of cameo contrast, indicative of a modern proof.

Can't "wait" to see the "weight" of these badboys.

16. Nick62174

Nick62174 Junior Member

I have to get a better scale...as of right now the "aluminum/silver" quarter weighs in at just under 4.8g...in comparision a reg quarter on this scale says 5.6g...don't know if this helps...what should the weights of reg vs silver be?

17. crowned

crowned Junior Member

Silver is denser than CuNi... So you do have something weird.

18. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Might want to try taking it to a jeweler for a reliable weight.

Aluminum would weight much less than that.

Copper-nickel ("regular") quarter weighs 5.67 grams, 90% silver quarter weighs 6.25 grams.

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Titanium!! I'll bet it's titanium. :D

http://www.ptable.com/

So...two atoms are sitting in a bar...

Atom #1: Whoa! I think I just lost an electron!

Atom #2: Really?! Are you sure?

Atom #1: I'm positive.

(waits for applause)

20. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Atom #3: Dont worry I found it! Now I have two.
    claps anyways!
    Atom #1: atom 3 are you sure?
    Atom #3: Double sure!
    Atom #1: Well, give it back or im going
    nuclearrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Moma Atom: Calm down children theres enough to go around dont tear yourselfs apart over this.

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Draft saved Draft deleted