1999 D Mint Set State Quarters

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cynde, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Cynde

Cynde New Member

I was recently looking at the PCGS website and priceguide and saw that the 1999 mint set coins, i.e. Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Georgia, and Pennsylvania in MS conditions are currently going for HUGE dollar amounts! Just a couple days before I saw this I had bought a 1999 D mint set still in it's plastic ever since, hence why I was looking at the PCGS price guides. Has anyone else known about this? I took some shots of my coins and they are so bright! I figure they've got to be MS 68's.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT.
    It's not possible to grade coins from images like these. Mint sets can have some really nice coins but few will grade in the MS67 or MS68 level. It will cost about $25 to $30 each to have them graded and slabbed.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Send them to PCGS. They will grade them for you.

5. AdrienH

AdrienH Yet Another YN

PCGS tends to be slightly more expensive, if you have an ANA membership then NGC is the way to go.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's difficult to see the coins in your photos but I don't think any of them would rate a 68. You would need to spend the money to have them graded and slabbed and then you may not recover the cost of grading.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

After being a member for just over 3 years, I'd hope you have educated yourself by reading the posts here at CT. First, post FULL IMAGE photos, not thumbnail, of the entire obverse and reverse of your coins, with close ups of areas of question. Make sure they are cropped to show just the coin, that it is in focus and orientated correctly. I doubt anyone long time member here would attempt to give you a grade on the photos you have provided. Good luck.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Most of these (especially DE) don't often come with good strikes and free of marking very often.

When they do they can be very pricey.

"MS-68" requires a virtual absence of scratches and dings. Mint sets are the place to look but nice specimens in the mint sets are not common.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya want it graded? Buy it graded. '99-D quarters in OGP ain't all that expensive. They ain't all that expensive in 'slabbed' (TPG) condition either. They're business strikes, and as such, are quite common. Where they ain't all that common is in conditions exceeding mint state 66.

Pay no attention to the pricing guides from the slabbing companies. The prices are way over inflated. Splitting hairs, (grading) with otherwise common coins, is an attempt to make rarities out of otherwise common coins. Don't drink the bloody KoolAid and welcome to the forum.........

Draft saved Draft deleted