1999 D Jefferson Nickel: Off Center and Brockage?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bqcoins, Sep 15, 2015.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I found this in a small coin store in Michigan last week while I was up for a buddy's wedding. It is about say 60-70% off center, but then on what would be the obverse there appears that another blank was in the press when it was struck...or another coin, I'm not sure. What exactly would this error be classified as and can anyone tell me what is going on on the right hand side of monticello, I can't seem to find those elements on the obverse of a regular jefferson nickel. IMGP3140.JPG IMGP3141.JPG IMGP3143.JPG IMGP3144.JPG

TJ1952, NSP, tommyc03 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Sweet

rickmp likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice Off-Center!
    You usually see this occur on Nickels that were Off-Center struck more than 60%. I have 2 that I submitted to NGC at one time and have the same Uniface description. I will try to find out why this occurs.
    3443070-009+1.JPG 009.JPG 3443070-010+1.JPG 010.JPG

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ok this is what I found -
    I want to share this definition with you from the ERROR-REF.com website -
    Definition: An off-center strike in which the coin is struck against an underlying or overlying planchet. The second situation happens less often. In either case, the face struck against the planchet is featureless; the opposite face is die-struck. In an off-center uniface strike, the entire face must be featureless. If any of it is die-struck, it is designated an off-center strike with indent.
    Due to the double thickness involved in such an error, effective striking pressure is elevated. This often produces a “stretch strike” — a coin with an expanded “slide zone”.

You can read it here on the first part of the webpage and other uniface errors, then they get into different errors but a good read anyways- http://www.error-ref.com/?s=uniface

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

thanks for the reading paddy. very educational. any idea on what is going on with the building. the red arrow indicates where I believe it should be raised but appears to be indented. the blue arrows are something odd too. to further educate is that something normal that occurs with such an error or is it something else? thanks

7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Those funny things coming off of Monticello are die clashes

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great off center piece! :)

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're a die crack short of having everything on one coin. :)

bryantallard and Jwt708 like this.
  10. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Off-center with an "indent" (indentation from a planchet).

KoinJester likes this.
  11. bryantallard

ya know...I was thinking that when I first saw it and 2nd guessed myself and dismissed it. thanks for confirming.

12. bryantallard

k thanks mike. I NEVER could have guessed that.

13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

So I had this graded.......don't ask me why. I look at all these postings and (besides getting depressed) I realize I'm way behind the curve with you guys.

Paddyman- Did you mention in another thread that you like ANACS for error coins?

S20151227_004.jpg S20151227_005.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted