1999 Connecticut quarter missing clad?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PaNT3rA, Jun 13, 2019.

1. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Hey fellas, I'm new to coin collecting and hunting and I just found this one and from what I can tell it's missing the clad on both sides, yes I know it's rare if it's real. I checked the side and it's all copper color and it's thinner than a normal quarter, also I looked for bumps made from acid stripping and I didn't notice anything. Please let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

It looks to me like your quarter has environmental discoloration. Were it missing clad, weight would be less than normal. Quarter weight missing one clad layer = 4.71 g +/- 0.347 g; missing two clad layers = 3.75 g +/- .467 g.

4. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

It definitely weights less, it much thinner than a normal quarter

5. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

The circumference is also smaller than a regular quarter

6. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

looks like its been in the ground for awhile - usually when coins are in the ground they turn brown to black and the ground and/or water is acidic - which eat away at the coin depending on length of time and where it's been… etc

Anyone with a metal detector along as myself will say - clad coins usually turn like this from the ground

R_rabbit and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Environmental damaged.

R_rabbit likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A true missing clad layer usually only occurs just on one side of a clad coin. Your Quarter has Environmental Damage.

R_rabbit likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

How much less? Accurate figures please. A subjective guess such as "if feels like it weighs less" is not good enough. You would not believe the number of times people have come on the forums with coins that they are SURE feel like they weigh a lot less than normal, which when they finally weigh them, either don't weigh less or sometime even weigh more than normal. Most people, without training and practice, can not detect a weight difference between two items of less than 5 grams.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That tells me it is most likely an acid damaged coin at least. I thought I could see some remains of the plating. If the plating was just missing, it would be the correct diameter. Jim

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This is what a quarter looks like, that is missing a clad layer.
    The copper will be very bright, and as Paddy said almost every time,
    it will only be on 1 side. There are exceptions, but that is super rare.
    missing clad.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Hey guys! I have the SAME EXACT quarter in the SAME EXACT condition, ON BOTH SIDE! Now, how the heck is that possible? I have never seen a coin like this quarter and I’ve searched through thousands, not to mention just having spent a LOT of cash in my days, etc. So, I just find it sooo hard to believe that this gentlemen and I could both have the SAME EXACT QUARTER, with quite literally the same exact condition/planchet issue going on.

so, please somebody chime in with some other kind Of info than “it has been buried in the ground” or “someone dipped it in acid” or something that would cause one coin to be that way or maybe a hand full or whatever. But for there to be two of the exact same coin, same year, same design, same Mint, etc to have this VERY strange, rare and identical anomaly occurring, is just so hard to believe would be cause by something so obscure.

But anyways, that’s just my thoughts and how I feel about it. I greatly look forward to hearing some other folks opinions and thoughts, especially now that there is ANOTHER IDENTICAL COIN in the mix! lol I hope that everyone and their loved ones are well and having a happy new year, thus far!

Attached Files:

13. Anyone??? ‍♂️

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Based on the your pics, you DO NOT have the "SAME EXACT QUARTER". Your coin suffered environmental damage just like the one in the OP. While the color is similar, it's not exactly the same. The only thing identical is the design ;)

The clad layer is a 75% copper 25% Nickel alloy. This is a pretty typical appearance for coins that have spent time in/on the ground.

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

The 2nd Conn. Quarter posted is copper-plated

Time2Shine5299 likes this.
  16. Koinfused

Koinfused New Member

Hi I am new to this forum but I have a coin like yours but in a different denomination. Mine is a presidential coin I got from a vending machine. I thought it was an error coin and I still think it is or at least hope it is. I took it to one of the coin shops near me and told me that this happens when a coin is exposed to water for a long time like in a fountain. Someone tossed the coin in the fountain and after a while someone harvested the coins and spent them. In which case one of them ended up with me. I was going to post a similar question and post the picture but I am told I do not have privileges to post at this time.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That was most likely the correct answer.

18. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Don't worry @Koinfused , we will be here. Post your coins on separate thread . Thanks .

19. Both photos are of the same coin, friend. But, so you say it’s copper plated and not a “previously buried” coin? Interesting.... thx for your input.

20. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

21. Really man? So u think what? That I mean we had the same coin at the same time, like some multidimensional BS or something? Lol I seriously just skip past detailing and/or explaining remarks or comments that I just take for granted that all adults will understand what I mean and will focus on the ACTUAL subject and topic at hand. So, the color is the same, the denomination is the same, the year is the same, the mint ja the same, the design is the same, what else am I supposed to say other than “I ha e the exact same coin”, etc etc? LOL unless, like I said, you REALLY thought that I meant that we literally had the same exact particular physical coin? Cuz then I just can’t help ya. ;) Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted