1999 Canadian Cent rainbow toned bisecting die crack.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Paddy54, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Going through a Dansco that just a cents album, that I keep my Canadian sm cents in I found this ... 20200920_202156.jpg 1600647791942_20200920_201558.jpg

Under the right lighting this thing pops....and actually it has two bisecting die cracks.

capthank, paddyman98 and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The 1999 Canadian cent was made from copper plated zinc planchets just like the crappy U.S. Zincolns (in 2000 they went to copper plated steel).
    The lines on your coin look more like linear plating bisters, not cracks

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Tagging this to remind myself to post photos of a Canadian mint set I have. The toning is approaching terminal, but what is it about the Canadian's that invite such pronounced toning?

Z

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well they are raised on the surface and solid nothing like any blisters ive seen.
    However small cents arent in my wheelhouse, really don't collect at all just have aquired a few in my day.

6. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that they made them in both plated steel and plated zinc in most years until they quit minting the penny altogether. The exceptions are 2008, where only steel was used, and 2010, where only zinc was used.

Also, I agree that the lines are plating flaws, not die cracks.

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Not die cracks. The Canadians got smart and ended the penny run in 2012 before the coins could get as ugly as the American zinc-clink.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

As others here, I don't believe those are die cracks, but an interesting coins none the less.

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Isn’t there some real tough newer Canadian cent that are impossible to get in circulation

10. TheGame

There are several off-metal errors from when they were using both zinc and steel, and marking the steel ones. The 2006 Magnetic and 2006-P Non-Magnetic are the most well-known of them, there are a couple others from prior years as well.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

That makes cents. Why put holes in the book then. Even has a hole for a dot coin. What the hell is that?

12. Cheech9712

Did they circulate those of metal coins?

13. TheGame

I'm assuming you're talking about 1936? They were minted in 1937 before the George VI dies arrived, but were never released to circulation. Less than 10 are known today. The same holds true for dimes with the dot. Quarters with a dot did circulate but are somewhat low mintage.
    Possibly. I've read that some of them were set-issue coins made on the wrong planchets, but it's likely that some were circulation strikes as well. I personally don't count them towards the set, regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted