1999 Brass penny value???

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coinguy-matthew, Jan 29, 2012.

1. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I found this 1999 brass coated penny error while roll searching today and was wondering if it is worth anything in its present condition???

BRASS1.jpg Brass2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

not sure what is up with the last two pictures? but i dont think that they have any value other than 1 cent.

4. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

the mint didnt issue any brass plated lincolns in 1999 buddy only in 83, 84 and 97. that they had admitted to anyways

cody

5. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Its definitely bright brass color no doubt about it.
    com.jpg com 2.jpg

6. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

7. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

how much does it weigh?

8. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

also it would weight the same as a regular cent even if it was plated.

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

if you had a scale in which could do hundredths of a gram you would notice if it had been electroplated. i think anyway.

cody

10. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

yeah, maybe if your lucky, it is barely coating the coin at all. they spend more on the time and personnel for spraying/ soaking a coin then its worth lol. but it's also not to make money off of the coins, but to test products.

11. It's just been exposed to chemicals that slightly altered the colour. Sorry, it's not brass plated, worth face

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

What's the error?

I don't see it.

If you're saying the error is that is plated in brass, that's not an error.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Compare the color to the photo in this url in the part "How it works"
    http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/gold-pennies

To me the experimental coin on the right compares to the color of yours as I see the photos. This experiment in various beginning chemistry classes produce a large number each year that goes back into circulation when people get tired of them.

Basically zinc dust mixture and heat makes a thin layer of "yellow brass" on the surface of the coin. The weight would not be easily detected. My memory is that Ken Potter had to submit his coins which came uncirculated, to the mint to do spectroscopic tests on them to indicate that the brass outer layer was consistent with what would be expected from the mint if they made such.

Jim

14. That one guy.

That one guy. New Member

I used a blow torch on a penny coated in zinc, and it turned brass. I was wondering how much it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted