1998s Toned Proof Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Oysterk, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

1998sproofcenttoned.jpg
    Really love this coin, but I feel like the price is a little steep. Is $100 a fair price to pay for this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If you need to ask...

Ok, sorry for the smarty pants reply. If you collect toning or Lincolns and you love it, than I'll bet someone else with those interests would love it too and pay the price.

As for me, I love the coin too but it's not worth even $20 to me. If I owned it, I should price it at $250 and find a greater fool.

4. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

@Insider , very true, I'd probably be able to find another buyer, with a lot of time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I don't like toned proofs to begin with--you've always gotta get the right lighting and coordinates to get the thing to look decent anyhow, otherwise it's just a dark coin with some weird look smudges.

$100 is quite the markup, but I like Insider's scheme. Luckily toned coins give us that option: when we're bored with them, let's just mark them up even higher, in the hopes that someone thinks that premium is fair.

MKent likes this.
  6. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The spots on the obverse is a turn off to me but the reverse is pretty cool. I guess it would be like seeing a mermaid you are wowed at first but then you notice the tail and that's all you can see.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am very surprised that is in a problem free holder. That toning looks highly unnatural to me.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

At PR69RB (not even CAM or DCAM), aside the color the coin isn't even worth the cost of the slab. Heck, it doesn't even appear in the PCGS Population report. :) PCGS Pop lists 6453 of these, and 6448 of them are DCAM. Only one doesn't carry at least the CAM designation. This would be the second.

It would be your choice as to whether a markup that massive just for the color is appropriate. I sure don't think so.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

10. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to think about it. :D

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I agree the reverse is nice the obverse wouldn't seal the deal with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted