1998 Wide AM, Have it graded or no?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Hello
    I finally found a 1998 red wide AM coin today. The only thing wrong with it is some unfortunate water marks, or whatever you call them. I'm sure one of the grading companies could restore it.
    So I looked up what price it's going for, I thought these AM errors would go for more. My question: should I let them restore and slab the coin and hope the price will go up later on?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i dont believe you'll ever get back the money you would spend having it slabbed...

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the ones i find go into a cardboard 2x2 then into a box with the rest of my keepers..

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I don't think the price will ever go up. I mean maybe when we're all dead and gone it will be worth more but not in my lifetime. ;) And just so you know if I'm lucky, I'll live for another 30 years. :D Better luck next time but I have experience with errors and they only sell to specific collectors and it has to be a really noticeable error like a nickel on a dime planchet or something similar. :cigar:

6. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Yes, that's what I did. Maybe price will go up on AMs later on down the road. I found another coin, I'll create a new thread. I'd appreciate your input. I'll post it next 5 minutes.

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

The 99 is the valuable one. If it was high grade I'd get it graded. But even MS66 RD they're not a lot. You'd need it to get to 67. That's cool you found one though. I've been looking for years and never have found one.

8. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Thanks. I will keep searching for more goodies!

Draft saved Draft deleted