1998 P DD QUARTER DOLLAR

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GONZA713, Aug 30, 2018.

1. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

I see that this 1998 Philadelphia quarter dollar has a double letter in the word In God We Trust, in the date and in the letter P of Philadelphia.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's "doubled", yes, but not of the type you're hoping.

http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

If you truly want to learn, take a look at the link above and see if you can identify the cause before someone else blurts out the answer.

GONZA713 likes this.
  4. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

Thanks friend for your successful comment and the link that you indicated to me.

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Looks like an extra hard stamp

GONZA713 likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

Of course, and thanks for taking it as intended. It's a great site that can teach you a great deal if willing to put in the necessary time to absorb all it offers. Good luck!

GONZA713 likes this.
  7. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

What I thought was a doubled die is not and it is the mark that the die leaves when it presses the plate when printing the letters to the coin.

8. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

I would like to have enough time to learn a little more on this excellent website and with the excellent moderators who are ready to help us and understand all the terms in nunimastics. It seems that my urge to find a good collectable coin.

9. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

One more question. This currency would have some collectable value or not?

10. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

No it would not. The displayed coin has more common “machine doubling” from the planchet or die moving as the coin was struck. A true doubled die is where the die itself was double stamped when being created.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    GONZA713 likes this.
  11. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

Thanks! Then I withdraw the Posts so that they do not waste their time reviewing. Thanks, everyone!

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh no. Watch out for the printing police.

GONZA713 and 1916D10C like this.
  13. 1916D10C

Yes. The Double Die police have already issued him a citation.

GONZA713 and Ozzman like this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Coins are struck/minted... Not printed. Paper currency is printed

;)

Poot, Cheech9712 and GONZA713 like this.
  15. 1916D10C

Oops. There’s citation #2. We knew it was coming Cheech.

16. BooksB4Coins

Instead of making schmuckish comments about one of the few members here every day answering the questions most avoid, perhaps you would be wise to instead focus on the quality of your own responses....

Sasquatch and GONZA713 like this.
  17. 1916D10C

One letter. That was all you could muster is a dig over one letter? And probably one of the only times I have had a typo and not noticed/corrected it, since I was typing fast on my iPhone at work.

And *ahem* I am “one of the few members here that answer questions most avoid” as well. Soooo...... touché. :smuggrin:

ETA: It has been corrected, smart one. :)

GONZA713 likes this.
  18. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

:joyful::joyful:

1916D10C likes this.
  19. GONZA713

GONZA713 Member

The problem here is my google translator since I live in Puerto Rico, I speak, understand and write very little in English

20. BooksB4Coins

First, you're wrong and the issue taken was with how you incorrectly explained doubled dies to the OP. Let's revisit....

".....A true doubles die is where the die itself was double stamped when being created."

Do you not see any GLARING problems with this? You're close, but there's more to it and means you're also spewing misinformation to someone wanting to learn. You are a fine example of why I suggested the OP use the linked site instead of listening to whatever was blurted out, often by those who care more about playing a part than helping others. Thanks for providing an example of just that.

And you've been here barely a week and have the gall to act as if you have contributed anything to this forum comparable to Paddy and others? What a joke!

GONZA713 and 1916D10C like this.
  21. 1916D10C

What? Oh no....... here we go again.......

You DO realize I was just lightheartedly joking, right??? A lot of people accuse me of being a grammar Nazi and I don’t get offended or angry. Geesh man. I’m sorry. I thought this forum was supposed to be fun and we could make jokes too...... Nothing I said was meant to be douchey or “schmuckish” as you so eloquently put it.

Draft saved Draft deleted