1998 mexican $5 value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by digger, Feb 14, 2005.

1. digger

digger New Member

This coin was just given to me by my dad and he is curious as to its equivalent U.S. value.
    I realize Mexico devalued their system but I think that was around 1988. Since this is a 1998 coin I wonder myself what 5 pesos converts to now.
    It is a 2 part coin with an outer ring of probably stainless steel and an inner coin of a brass like alloy. The obverse outer ring has symbols 180 around the outer ring and the mirror image of the same symbols the other 180 degrees. The denomination of course is in the center ring and is $5. The Reverse outer ring says ESTADOS UNIDOS MEXICANOS and the inner coin has the familiar dragon with a serpant on a cactus (I think).
    It is still in AU condition.
    I do not normally collect these, just had to find out since this quest fell upon me unplanned.

Thanks!
    Digger

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Digger,there was an intermediate series denominated in Neuvos Pesos (New Pesos) (N$) that was in use from around 1990,which have the same designs.I have a few of these coins,which includes the 20 New Pesos,which has a silver centre
    part.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

At the current exchange rate -

1.00 USD United States Dollars = 11.1605 MXN Mexico Pesos

1 USD = 11.1605 MXN - 1 MXN = 0.0896017 USD

5. digger

digger New Member

Thanks Gd : if my math is correct then this $5 pesos coin is worth about $.45 U.S. dollars

6. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

your math is correct

7. digger

digger New Member

Thanks for your response cave Troll!
    I did not know a Cave Troll could do math.
    LOL

8. doyal

doyal New Member

$.45 is cents,right?

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wow.. You just posted on a thread from 2005!

Yes it's .45 Cents o_O.. Why do you ask?

10. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Maybe back then but today 1 peso is worth about .052 cents. So the coin today would be worth about 25 cents.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Now the peso is about 5 1/4 cents so the 5 pesos would be .26 cents.
    And it was devalued 1000-1 in 1993.

12. Rosie Dryer

Rosie Dryer New Member

Michael I found 2 $100 pesos dated 1985 and a $5 pesos dated 1984. Are they still the same value as above in the previous posts? Thank you.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You see when it was devalued 1000-1, the old money which is what you have the 100 peso is worth 1/10 of a current peso which =1/2 of a cent. The 5 peso is one 20th of a half of a cent.
    Now, as a collector (coin?) are these bills or coins, post photos, it is almost always worth more than face value. For example I came across a 50 peso 1982 coin which is worthless, but has a collector value of around a dollar.

Draft saved Draft deleted