1998 Lincoln Penny Yellow in color

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CatW, Jan 27, 2017.

1. CatW

CatW Member

Looking through my piggy bank and found this. Is it unusual for a penny to be yellow?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There's just a higher percentage of zinc in the plating. The answer to your next question is, "No, it's only worth $.01."

4. CatW

CatW Member

Thanks!

paddyman98, Kentucky and eddiespin like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You accept this with good grace and are to be complimented.

CatW and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. But after checking a couple of mine the brass cents are more of a golden brown, then the yellow surface that is on the OP's coin.

8. CatW

CatW Member

So sweet..Thank you!

9. CatW

CatW Member

Thank you for the time and the information. I found the link to be very interesting and makes me want to look further!

10. CatW

CatW Member

I might try to get a better picture of it in different light...but at first glance it does seem very yellow.

11. Rick Stachowski

Ken Potter my friend ( lol ) . I've live in michigan and hang out at the Coneca table at the local shows ...

Send him an email, with obverse and reverse images .
    Tell him I sent you .

green18 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

@Rick Stachowski The page that you directed the op to look at says nothing about a 98'D only 98 Philly. are you saying that the 98'd and many other years with this yellow color on them are brass plated cents. Here is one that I found the other day in pocket change it also has the yellow film like color on it. IMG_3018.JPG IMG_3017.JPG

13. CatW

CatW Member

OK, here I found a penny closer to the year of the 1 in question. So I am posting better pics...hopefully.
    Rick, I will send these pics over to your friend. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, time, and information.

Attached Files:

14. Rick Stachowski

This is the reason why, we already know this year is out there, never know, new discoveries all the time ..

15. Rick Stachowski

Those images make it look like environmental damage ...

16. Pickin and Grinin

Tis true, I do agree with FastEddie though.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

18. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

The brass pennies are complicated because there is also a simple science experiment that produces a similar result. On originally brass colored pennies the color was cause by nickel contamination to the copper coating. I believe the only way to really differentiate the two would be by weight- the ones with an addition coating of metal (science experiment) will weigh slightly more.

CatW likes this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The weight difference of the plating will not be outside of normal tolerance on a science experiment coin, so you are stuck with XRD analysis or similar to detect nickel in that low amount.

CatW likes this.
  20. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Draft saved Draft deleted