1998 Kennedy half

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brian Ochaba, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

When you search for errors, you should never say"I can't explain what caused this damage, therefore it must be an error". You need to explain how it could occur during the minting process. There are an almost infinite number of ways a coin can be damaged after it leaves the mint, but the minting process is well documented and understood.

Who knows exactly what's on your coin? Adhesive? Tar? Chemical corrosion? It really doesn't matter. Many of the members responding to your question have decades of collecting experience and have demonstrated their knowledge of the minting process on coin talk posts.

Bottom line is your coin did not leave the mint like that because there is no part of the process that would produce a coin that looks like that.

Here are some links that explain the minting process. It takes time, but if you're interested in coins, learning the minting process is very helpful.

https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html

https://coinweek.com/dealers-companies/littleton/modern-coins-made/

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/how-coins-are-made-coin-production-terminology

Mountain Man and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Then spend the money and have your coin graded and post the results. I said your coin is a spender. If you can prove me wrong I'll admit my mistake. Ask yourself how this happened in the minting process and explain it to us so we understand.

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...and, @Brian Ochaba ...always handle coins by the edge or use cotton gloves. The oils in the skin of your fingers will cause damage. It’s what causes fingerprints...Spark

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The stuff on the second coin is the right color to be JB weld.

6. who the heck is Cooper?

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would pay attention to what is being said. CTer's are here to help not argue a moot point...

8. Brian Ochaba

Brian Ochaba Member

I am not disagreeing with anyone by no means , I am trying to learn as much as I can about coins .

9. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

The problem with your half is that no one really knows what is stuck on it. It is not a mint error. And unless you've owned it since it was minted, you may never know what is on it. One thing for sure is that the coin has some kind of crud on it that did not leave the mint that way.

10. Brian Ochaba

Brian Ochaba Member

I know , but you can feel the difference between the coin and crude , almost like a speed bump. And no matter what I do to it , it’s not coming off . So I don’t know I am a watch collector getting into the coin collecting.

11. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I am also a watch collector and a coin collector. You may spin your head in circles trying to figure out what is on the coin, but you should come to the realization that it is not an error. Sorry!

12. Brian Ochaba

Brian Ochaba Member

Thank you fellow watch/ coin collector. My ch appreciated.

bsshog40 likes this.
  13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Charles Brooks
    upload_2020-11-25_2-7-24.png
    Posted just for fun. ;)

Spark1951 and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted