1998 dime D with damage from mint? On tail

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyrics, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Lyrics

Lyrics Giving this one more chance with lots of hope

OK 1998 D dime with horrid lettering issues

Please tell me this is something cool. Has to be. Right?

Holding fingers crossed. PHOTO_20160926_044304.jpg 20160926_044449.jpg 20160926_044554.jpg 20160926_044459.jpg 20160926_044525.jpg 20160926_044643.jpg 20160926_044634.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like PMD = post mint damage.

Lyrics likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's called "road rash".

Chris

Lyrics likes this.
  5. Lyrics

OK but wait... if it were road damage wouldn't the raised center image also then have more or at least similar damage or some damage to it and wouldn't the outside reef edges be damaged?

6. Lyrics

That was why I posted the center torch to show there was no damage to it. I'll post a couple more just in case.... oh and look at the rim edge going down to the letters if you get some closeness it's like looking at 20160926_071357.jpg 20160926_071356.jpg 20160926_071330.jpg 20160926_071222.jpg 20160926_071338.jpg 20160926_071236.jpg modeling clay....

7. Lyrics

Especially above the m

8. cpm9ball

It depends on the surface of the road or parking lot. It may have even been on the sidewalk of a convenience store. It also depends on what vehicle may have driven over it......car, bicycle, etc. Trust me! I've picked up thousands of coins off the ground.

Chris

9. Lyrics

OK if you're sure. Here I was thinking it was like some sort of modeling clay back. For like the dimensions artist or something.

Oh the imaginations of newbies.

10. cpm9ball

11. Lyrics

Yes.. but not like the smashed mush hot melted look lettering

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks like it was caught in something that affected the mostly the rim - the highest part of the coin. Now, I have a suggestion for you. ;)

IF you are really interested in minting errors and learning more about coins :bookworm:, rather than posting damaged coins, go on the Internet and read/study the entire ERROR REF.com website completely FIVE TIMES with a day in between for the info to sink in. On the day in between, go to Google and put in each specific term or characteristic such as "Die Break," "Planchet Clip" etc. and pull up "images" for each. I'll guarantee after two weeks you will know more than 60% of the people here answering your questions about the damaged coins you are posting. That includes me. :D When you return to Coin Talk, I'll look forward to you turning the tables and helping all of us answer posts from the newcomers. I'll know you are taking my suggestion.:watching:. Good luck.:joyful:

PS: I SHOULDN'T NEED TO ADD THIS as an edit, but we have some folks :bucktooth:here that do not understand practical, truthful "tough love" answers :jawdrop: so: I am not trying to run you off the threads or posting. Just do some homework! ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  13. Lyrics

Well thanks I be sure not to return to these forums if this is the type of gallantly sub human retort and reprimand I should recieve from people who are supposed to enjoy teaching newbies. But hey.... to each his own and I'm sure you'll find someone else to run off and keep the blood thick and stale with back patting from the same few folks daily and I am sure telling the same jokes daily. If this is how you like it then allow me to specifically state... your rudeness has served it's purpose.

You're an underhanded cut throat curmudgeon.

Of course you might have noted very carefully that every item I've pulled out has been carefully looked at. Searched out on Google and looked thru every possible post. I didn't just run here screaming for my mommy to Pat my hand and make it all better.

Good luck to you. I truly can't imagine if you're the voice of reason why anyone would join such a reasonable place.

So thank you for the enlightenment.

I flipping won't be back with such an arse present.

14. Lyrics

Please do see my above response to such an asinine post

15. cpm9ball

You sure screwed the pooch this time!

Chris:(

Insider likes this.
  16. Insider

:rolleyes: :banghead::banghead::banghead: :facepalm: Just proved the need :bucktooth: for the edit :smuggrin: to my original post:

PS: I SHOULDN'T NEED TO ADD THIS as an edit, but we have some folks :bucktooth: here that do not understand practical, truthful "tough love" answers :jawdrop: so: I am not trying to run you off the threads or posting. Just do some homework! ;)

You knw what @Lyrics? After thinking it out fully, you are right. My suggestion would be of no help to you at all because unfortunately, there is no place on the Internet to learn what DAMAGED and ALTERED coins look like better than the posts right here on Coin Talk. So please keep posting as you are giving all of us a true education! ;)

This arse will take that bet. :happy::watching:

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Keep posting pics. don't run away just because of 1 bad apple. There are some people on CT that have huge egos that do not know how to treat newbies/people. there's an "ignore button" feature here. I had to use it on 1 member that kept correcting/bad mouthing my grammar and insulting me. :cat:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

well, nicely said and know corrections :oops:

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Time to stop acting like children! The general thought of the forum is you can Diss th coins, but not the person, and this is getting there fast. So Stop. The management doesn't agree with this attitude. Insider, I read this thread 3 times to be sure there wasn't something missing between post 10 and 11, and there isn't. I can not see any reasonable explanation why you reacted as you did. If you don't want to answer specifics of her statements ~ Then don't at all ~ IGNORE! and find another to your liking!Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted