1998 D Dime Partial Collar Strike?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 2manyhobbies, Dec 12, 2019.

1. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

This is my first time coming along one of these if in fact that's what it is. What say Ye? Any thoughts are appreciated!
    DSC02106.JPG DSC02110.JPG DSC02108.JPG DSC02111.JPG DSC02112.JPG DSC02113.JPG DSC02114.JPG DSC02115.JPG DSC02116.JPG DSC02117.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me.

Kaye and 2manyhobbies like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Tilted Partial Collar Strike

Kaye likes this.
  5. 2manyhobbies

What's the difference in the strike to make it a tilted? The angle on the edge? Thanks for the info!

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes!

Chris

Kaye and 2manyhobbies like this.
  7. 2manyhobbies

Is a tilted more or less rare? Thanks for the info!

8. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

That's a keeper Nice find.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice find! It's a keeper!

2manyhobbies likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks like it was trying to be two errors in one. It was trying to be an uncentered broadstrike but the collar was not completely out of the way, it was tilted and part of the collar was still above the surface of the anvil die (obverse die) so when the planchet was struck it spread out enough to make contact with the collar and pick up part of the reeded edge most of the way around the coin.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  12. 2manyhobbies

Thank You Condor! As to my previous question. Is a tilted partial collar strike more rare than a partial collar strike? I'm not asking about value. I am asking about the rarity. IE a light clash is more common than a heavy clash. Thanks for any info!

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't really know which is less common. i don't collect errors so I don't know which type you would encounter more often.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Cool. I like the rim. I've had a few. Maybe 3. But back to the wild. Can't collect what i don't save. Thanks. Nice piece

15. Real Slick

Real Slick Active Member

I was looking for a 1998 d dime with no rim, and saw your post w/ a partial collar strike,which caught my eye . While reading everyone's comments, by the way was informative and helpful, anyways the "Collection Nut" had me thinking on the comment he made "It was trying to be an un-centered broadstrike" Bottom line is I do not know what to call this 1998 d dime I have, I'm taking the advice of many members look around for a like coin.So I think that it maybe a broad strike no rimed,, cud marked clipped panchet error. What say you? I posted the pictures, last time I posted pictures I was told not too, or something like .that.Good feed back from all, I'm trying to get this down. Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted