1998 Brazil 10 cent - DDR?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CygnusCC, Jun 12, 2021.

1. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

So I'm still churning through my 'pound-o-international-coins' my little sister got me and came across this Brazilian 10 cent piece. For reference, the date is incuse and the 'CENTAVOS' and stars are raised.

Frankly, I have no idea what is going on with the date. The 'CEN' and 'S' could be machine doubled - the doubling looks shelf like to me. However, the stars definitely appear to be from a doubled die - both sides of the doubling seem equal height. Oh, and the two 'S's look almost intertwined - it's a cool effect.

Any thoughts on this coin?

I thought I'd provide an international twist to today's error question. :)

1998_brazil_doubled_date.jpg
    1998_brazil_doubled_cent.jpg
    1998_brazil_doubled_star.jpg
    1998_brazil_doubled_reverse.jpg
    1998_brazil_doubled_obverse.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Wow! I am not sure but I want to hear what others say, so I'm leaving this message so I can get a reminder. Neat find! And a swell sister, too!

All I can tell you is that you have a KM#649.2 (with "T" wholly inside stripes on reverse). Check out https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2253.html for the whole lowdown.

My 1998 KM 649.2 does not have those doubled features yours does.

centavos-10-1998-km649.2.jpg

CygnusCC likes this.
  4. CygnusCC

Thanks for the link! I'm going to be needing that as I go through these. I didn't realize international coin searching would be so much fun, to be honest.

Your pic and that link show that I have doubling on the line art too. Very helpful!

DEA likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Yes it is a doubled die. I have several from Brasil.

6. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

I'm one of those curmudgeons that prefer a book or a catalog - a hard copy - in my hands. I don't like to read magazines on my computer or mobile phone or tablet.

However, I've weakened, or softened? Or joined modernity? The telephone book size catalogs are now rarely my first go to - numista.com has spoiled me beyond belief. It makes searching a breeze and is a great place to keep an inventory and swap with others.

CygnusCC likes this.
  7. CygnusCC

Nice, I definitely will use it for research. At my sister's suggestion I've been using https://en.ucoin.net/ for tracking but it doesn't have all the information that numista seems to have.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. CygnusCC

Nice, thanks. Have you seen a date like that before? I'm not sure how they even did that.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Some are more extreme than others...

6DSL6MxvTyarAxM25m0g_3.jpg
    fhg0oh6GREOhA0mWIU21_A1B.jpg

CMeIlPhTMyVYEdCbosLS_2009 Rev copy.jpg
    skSzqEO0RMiEl91PHMqW_Brasil C.jpg

3DzucTpARTyULINe6kgY_Brasil 2000 B.jpg
    LoXsVgErT6yH7BEQ8Q9g_Brasil 2000 DDO.jpg

and this last 1 is amazing...
    DDR A copy.jpg

I am not sure where the other side of this coin pic went. My friend Karen is not back from Cali yet to take 1 for me....

10. CygnusCC

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have not seen/know of your coin in particular, but I am liking the doubling on it for sure.

CygnusCC likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

These have some big DDO's especially on the obverse.
    You can find quite a few of them here.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have 1 more DDO from Brasil that is in an amazing grade I got for $65 now going for $200+. Not for sale.

Higyb3JfR0S96DNYByXx_1.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    CygnusCC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted