1997 Roosevelt Dime-What is this on Rim?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I have this 1997 Roosevelt Dime and noticed that there is a piece of the rim missing from the bottom half of the obverse rim. Can someone explain what this is please?

1997 Roosevelt Dime (Obverse)-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevelt Dime-CloseUp-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevlet Dime (Close Up2)-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevelt Dime (CloseUpRim)-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevelt Dime (CloseUpRim2)-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevelt Dime (CloseUpRim3)-ccfopt.jpg 1997 Roosevelt Dime (Reverse)-ccfopt.jpg

Mr.Q and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting. Don't anyone tag me.. I don't know :wideyed:

Kentucky, Mr.Q, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

How about maybe considering it a strike thru on the rim? Is that possible?

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks like part of the collar die is missing.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  6. CaCoins

CaCoins New Member

I had found a similar coin. While I was trying to research possible causes, I could not find any examples that matched mine this closely until you posted a picture of yours. I still don’t know the cause, but started wondering if it could be caused by a feeder finger that did not fully retract prior to the strike?
    Good choice posting on this site, collectively the people here have a very impressive amount of knowledge of the hobby. When research reaches a dead end or becomes overwhelming, it’s a great place for multiple knowledgeable opinions!

john65999 likes this.
  7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Caused in the upsetting mill perhaps when the rim was being formed?

john65999, Mr.Q and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks to me like a strike through. Something, possibly a metal flake, was sitting down in the "gutter" around the die face that creates the raised rim of the coin.

john65999 and Rosalita like this.
  9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

possible strike through

10. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

It looks to me to be damaged after leaving the mint, as the area of the edge appears to be pushed out slightly and the reeds are slightly flattened. If this was a strike thru, with metal displaced during the minting process, I would expect the reeds to be stronger in the area of the rim from the metal flow.

11. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I think it happened in the upsetting mill on an slightly incomplete blank.

john65999 likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Perhaps Fred W. would know. Very interesting coin, you have there. I'm sure we all would like to know. Thank you and good luck. Happy New Year!

john65999 likes this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

My theory is…these are clad coins, 2 outer layers over a central copper core. This one may have just had a brittle piece break off.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very interesting and I’ve never seen anything like that. I’ll not speculate on what it might be. It’s a keeper for sure so protect it.

john65999 likes this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be missing a small piece of metal. Could it be a lam that separated, or is it a strike through? Not sure.
    @Fred Weinberg, @JCro57 ?

john65999 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted