1997-P Quarter (Reverse) Tail, Left Wing and legs/claws Errors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Defenderone, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Defenderone

Defenderone Active Member

Anyone seen one like this before? Check tail between legs, left wing and legs/claws. Can't fly with his tail disconnected! lol Quarter and Pennies 009.JPG :hilarious:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's my guess that the die was polished too much.

Chris

Blissskr, Defenderone and 19Lyds like this.
  4. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

They are all like that. All from 1932-1998.

5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

That are all definitely not like that.
    Must agree over polished die. nice find I'd buy that for a dollar

6. Defenderone

Really? never heard of that! Searcher, do you have any that you can share?

7. Defenderone

Thats what I was thinking...thanks.

8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have complete set of the Washington quarters. I picked up one, Monday at our club meeting. It's a 1952s ms65. It doesn't have any back ground area that the person talks about above. There is no polished out area.

Defenderone likes this.
  9. Defenderone

Thanks, what other information do you have on this error?

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

It's not an error. Take any M65 or greater and look. Look at that era proofs. To be a polished error, you first need to have the before, and show the after areas.

11. Defenderone

What Chris was talking about is the polished die that created the impresion and not the coin itself. if its not an error than what should I call it?

12. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

IMAG0475_1.jpg
    97p Ms66 IMAG0477_1.jpg 97s Pf 67. not a polished coin a polished die.

Defenderone likes this.
  13. Defenderone

ok, now I see what its missing on my coin. Thanks.

14. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

@Searcher64 don't understand your statement about it not being an error.
    It's like saying a three legged buffalo nickle is not an error. who has a 1997p quarter die to photograph? let alone 2 one that is in like new condition and one that has been over polished. Could you post a pic of you're 52s Ms65? sounds really interesting.

Defenderone likes this.
  15. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I do see what you are talking about. I looked at my set that goes back to 1932. most do not have the stuff between the legs. I have many unc 60++ up to Ms 67. most do not have it. so, if the die is new and the press pressure is high, then yes, you could be correct. Bill Fivaz would be the person to ask. I will talk to him soon [Jan], and see what he tells. I will get back later.

16. Defenderone

Ok, now what about the left wing? there is a big difference between the left and right...was this meant to be...I don't think so...any clarification is most welcomed and appreciated...thanks!

17. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

It's all the results of an over polished die.
    I have a nearly complete set of Washington's 0 of them resemble your coin

Defenderone likes this.
  18. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know if it's really an error...or just a variety, I suppose it depends on your collecting focus. But either way...it's not well know or sought after. It's a fun find though and an interesting piece.

20. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Every coin ever minted is a variety. I get it. So in that since searcher 64 and you are rite it's not an error. @Defenderone please see the tread called profound thought for an explanation.

21. Defenderone

you really think that they will really produce a coin or variety of this type? I don't think so...I just know that something went wrong with this and other coins that may have the same conditions...lets remember coins are made to be and look "perfect" but this is something else, there is a big difference... I will stay with an over polished die error...Thanks.:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted