1997 P Jefferson Nickel-Strike Through Grease?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I have this 1997 P Jefferson Nickel and see on the Obverse and Reverse what appears to be strike through grease blotches. Is this correct? And if so, is this common on Jefferson Nickels? I have not searched Nickels too often.

1DSCN8014-ccfopt.jpg 2DSCN8038-ccfoptA.jpg 3DSCN8002A.jpg 4DSCN8021a.jpg 5DSCN8032a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I see circulation hits and plenty of staining not a Greaser.The coin has lots of detail left,Still 5 cents spend it when needed.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Stains . Plain and simple . Oh boy, I wish all of them were this easy .:happy:

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think it may be a Struck Thru Debris, or a damaged die. I have never seen a stain that removed striation marks. There needs to be something between the coin and the die during the strike to keep the marks on the die from transferring to the coin.
    Or the die received some type of damage that removed or smoothed the die face.
    Note how the "stained" areas are up against and under design features but not on them.
    I don't think it adds any value to your coin. It is an interesting study.

Rosalita likes this.
  6. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Is it often that Nickels are struck through grease? Like on Quarters?

7. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow agrees that it is a greaser. Not the best example of one, but it is one. Meow has seen 1000s of greaser quarters CRH, and that is what it looks like.

alurid likes this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

yes, struck through grease or oil, not a grease filled die though, just over greased surfaces for the strike that left a different texture to the surface in those areas. this isn't a very collectible type of greaser, it's where the grease and grit fills the die devices and the coin is missing things that gets interest.

I've seen state quarters with this effect. I think like the 2005 Kansas, with the bison on it..... struck through grease or oil is the most common and it's enough but I've seen much worse.
    Struck with a grease filled die less common to happen, along this issue there can also occur "dropped letters or numbers" that get struck through.
    struck through foreign object, like fabric, hair, a machine part, ect. even less common.

The presses have moving parts of metal, they get lubrication, metal is being pressed at high pressures and moving, it gets grease also, sometimes they get too much grease, sometimes it's a little too much, sometimes it's a lot too much, sometimes it builds up with grit and nobody notices and the pressure and the grease and grit fills spots on the die and the coin isn't fully struck like in the case of the "in god we rust" quarter, also 2005 Kansas quarter.....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I find it difficult to tell from the photos, but looks like a stain, not a strike through, to me.

10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Really?ok then but It still just looks like nickel to me.

John Burgess likes this.
  11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's mild but I recognize it, even this one here is mild but easier to see from the way the picture was taken. it happens, only the really dramatic ones get a premium though, to most people it just looks like damage.
    Capture696543.PNG

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The wrinkles are die wear.

13. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow likes it! That is a nice greaser.

Rosalita likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted