1997 Double Stamped Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennies_aplenty, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I remember Charmy showing one of the multi-coin strikes in one of her show reports, but I can't recall which show.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but heat is used to anneal the planchet, and the striking process creates heat.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

It was a Indian Head Cent and it was also a Chain strike too . Nothing like this one ........

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, I know. I mentioned it to illustrate something else.

5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Heat is used in the annealing process to expand the molecules and loosen the bonds between them which makes the metal softer and more ductile and malleable. When a coin is struck, the pressure compacts the molecules and in a sense, makes it work hardened. The heat created by the striking is created from friction between the coin and the die and is generated at the surface. This heat is instantaneous and is very quickly absorbed by the coin and die. Though the temperature created at the surface can be and is quite high, when it is absorbed by and distributed by the inner molecules, The temperature of the whole coin rises only a fraction of the original surface temperature. The heat created by striking isn't enough to anneal the coin again, if it were to do this, the coins would wear and bend or warp much more easily, shortening the life of the coin significantly.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    phankins11 and Pennies_aplenty like this.
  6. Today, I went to 2 coin shops. The first guy said he thinks it's a double strike. The second guy says it weighs the same in karats as another penny (which was from 1992).

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

If it was mine, I'd send it in to PCGS, NGC, or ANACS. Other members on this site can probably tell you which TPG is best at attributing errors

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Genuine double strike, first strike in collar, second strike rotated and partial collar.

The second strike was the stronger strike and it flattened out most traces of the first and weaker strike.

Hommer, bdunnse and Pennies_aplenty like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted