1997 Double Stamped Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennies_aplenty, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

None of us can tell you with 100% certainty if it is real. I believe this is something you should be submitting to a TPG to have it attributed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. What is a TPG?

4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

ONE on the reverse isn't reversed either. It's rotated. image.png

5. Seattlite86

Great question. TPG is "Third Party Grader" like PCGS, NGC or ANACS.

6. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

7. Where can I find one? Can a local coin shop get me in touch?

8. Seattlite86

Don't get too hasty and make a mistake. You need to submit this coin on your own. Check out these three websites:
    http://www.pcgs.com/
    https://www.ngccoin.com/
    http://anacs.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I think @Rick Stachowski or @cpm9ball could most likely tell you the best place to submit it. I'd lean towards ANACS because they authenticate most error/variety coins. Whatever you do, do NOT hand this coin to anyone to submit for you.

9. Thanks for the advice! A coin dealer told me he'd give me $3.50 for it. I said no thanks. I will definitely be taking your advice and submitting it in my own.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you're concerned about the cost for submitting it, then ANACS is the best place because their cost is lower. Both NGC and PCGS have a membership fee. However, if you are an ANA (American Numismatic Association) member, you can get submission privileges to NGC for free.

Chris

Pennies_aplenty and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Pennies_aplenty and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Good call on passing.

Pennies_aplenty likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

@Pennies_aplenty
    @Seattlite86

What bugs me about the coin is that the secondary impression appears very weak. I can't imagine how that could happen in the coining chamber.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Looks good mind if I ask how you came across it?

15. Hommer

The weak looking strike, is usually the first strike. The metal is hardened by the first strike and the second strike doesn't have enough energy to flatten the hardened coin back out.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  16. cpm9ball

I don't know if I can agree with that. Have you ever seen the multi-coin strikes that Charmy has shown us? If the strike hardens the coin, then how are a dozen or more coins seemingly melded together.

Chris

17. Hommer

No I haven't. But tried searching it on here and it returned no results.
    I do know that metal, including coins, can be and is bonded by pressure. In fact, pressure is all that bonds clad coinage. But before a coin is struck, it goes through an annealing process to soften it before striking.

18. I know. It makes no sense.

19. I was roll searching when I was in middle school.

eric6794 likes this.
  20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

That's called a capped die and all the "melding" is taking place between the dies under great pressure. I've seen a stack at the mint four inches high with a slight curvature and I'm sure there are bigger ones!

@Pennies_aplenty ICG and ANACS are your least expensive grading services and you do not need to be a member.

21. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

you have a good eye so keep looking, Personally i'd send it to ANACS. Gives the rest of us roll searchers hope...I havent found anything in a while :(

Draft saved Draft deleted