1997 Double Stamped Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennies_aplenty, Sep 26, 2016.

1. This penny is stamped twice on both sides and rotated the same angle on both sides. It wasn't struck against another penny with a hammer because:
    1) Lincoln is a silhouette on the obverse, and only his outline is stamped
    2) The doubled lettering is not backwards on either side
    3) The heavier stamp is stamped over the lighter stamp in some places, and the lighter stamp over the heavier stamp on other places. This is true of both sides of the coin.
    4) The edge is split, which looks more like a mint error than a hammer strike
    5) All design elements are raised. They don't go into the coin like they would if the double stamp had been made with a hammer
    6) The angle of stamp rotation is the same on both sides

Can anyone tell me what kind of error this is? How much is it worth? Should I get a professional coin grading service to look at it?

Attached Files:

eric6794 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Pennies_aplenty

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

In case you didn't realize it, you posted this thread twice. You can go to the other thread, click on "Report" and ask the Mods to delete it.

Chris

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Don't know what you call it, but I like it. Nice find.

The edge/rim sure is curious.

5. Thanks

6. cpm9ball

@Pennies_aplenty

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is PMD. Someone probably used a vise to squeeze the impression into it. Take a look at the reverse, and you can see that part of "ONE CENT" is backwards.

Chris

7. I thought so at first, but when you turn the picture upside-down and look at it, you can see that it's not backwards.

8. Garlicus

The partial IN GOD on the front looks proper though, that's why I didn't call "vise job". I've been known to be wrong (many times) before, though.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Exactly. It looks backwards at first, but that's because the silhouette is partially upside-down.

10. It's in line with the Lincoln memorial.

11. cpm9ball

"IN GOD" which is at the bottom of the obverse is backwards, too...........PMD

Chris

12. Thanks for the feedback.

13. cpm9ball

Nope! Look carefully at the bottom of the obverse. "IN GOD" is backwards.

Chris

14. 20160926_194131.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. I think I see the lettering in line with Lincoln's rotated outline. Strange.

16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I never thought there'd come a day where I disagreed with you and was right. Take a look at the In God We Trust again... I rotated it 180 degrees. This is definitely something interesting and something I think @Rick Stachowski and @furryfrog02 @Paddy54 might appreciate seeing.

In God.png
    20160824_231147.jpg

Smojo likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I see it, don't give up just yet. I think this is something unique. Wait for more input from others.

18. Garlicus

In God We Trust isn't reversed. image.png

19. cpm9ball

@Pennies_aplenty

You know, after looking at it again, even I disagree with me. Thanks for calling me out.

Chris

20. No worries. There's a lot going on with this penny. I think 99% of these are fake. Could this be the real thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted