1997 denver clipped dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tyler Graton, May 22, 2017.

1. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Not too major but it's my first clipped planchet. Pretty darn sure it's not pmd IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG

Seattlite86 and Michael K like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I am not trying to be mean, and I might be wrong; and the experts on errors will state their knowledge, but it looks like maybe the dime was used as a screw diver at one time.

Tyler Graton and usmc60 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I believe that @Tyler Graton is correct. You can see the Blakesley Effect on the opposite side above the "RTY" of LIBERTY.

Chris

5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

You educated me as well. Thank you! I do have a few dimes that look like that after using them as screwdrivers!

6. cpm9ball

This works much better as a screwdriver.

SCREWDRIVER.png

Chris

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I also say yes to Clipped Planchet Error.
    Thanks for sharing.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I prefer a Piledriver. Prune juice and vodka.
    I like the clip.

Tyler Graton likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is an incomplete planchet (clipped).

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Phillips screwdriver - vodka and Milk of Magnesia

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I know clipped planchets don't always show a Blakesley effect, but I have noticed that any letters, numbers or other features close to the clip seem to show some "fade" towards the clip where the metal has flowed. The stem on the 7 of this coin seems too sharp. Someone please correct me.

13. cpm9ball

Here's one I concocted when I was working at a marina bar back in the early 80's.......

Shipwreck
    3/4oz Rum
    3/4oz Brandy
    3/4oz Triple Sec
    Equal parts of OJ & Sour Mix
    Serve in a 12-16oz glass (according to preference)

Chris

Michael K likes this.
  14. Tyler Graton

I've seen a a few examples myself, on informational stuff where you don't see the Blakesley effect on a slabbed coin from pcgs. Maybe I was blind or the camera was off angel.

15. Tyler Graton

Thanks for looking guys. lol Chris always got the simile jokes haha love em

16. Tyler Graton

This is probably one of my more stupid coin posts, but it's been bugging me ever sense I started to look up clipped planchet errors. I seen a few coins online that looked similar, to me, I have always thought this is a lawnmower coin, but then I posed a question in my head ( can debris get in between the coin and the machine while the machine cuts the edge of the coin? That's what I think this is (if it's an error) because it too kinda has the Blakesley effect too. But then again the coin appears to be beat to hell. Yes I know, it's a stupid question probably, but I have to ask now. IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0883.JPG

17. cpm9ball

Tyler, you've got to stop taking these photos on your welcome mat. There is no telling what your neighbors will think when they see you praying at the front door.

Chris:wacky:

18. Tyler Graton

Haha oh your talking about my Native American diner place mat? Haha it's not a door mat

19. cpm9ball

The background looks like one of the synthetic fibers used in a welcome mat.

Chris

20. Tyler Graton

I think it's just wool. It's pretty course, I'm sure if I rubbed my coins on this thing for a good minute it would scratch it up real nice. But hopefully I get to place a nice red 1969 DDO on this mat one day so you guys know I am not just joshin haha

Draft saved Draft deleted