1997-D Jeff Nickel - baby cud(s) or pmd(s)? (edit: GLUE - NM)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CygnusCC, May 5, 2021.

1. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

Trying to decide if this is damage or a few baby cuds (or idb's? They're not quite touching the rim)

It's hard to tell if they're raised or recessed, but light is shining off of the correct sides of I believe.

And I have absolutely no idea what to think about the spot on Monticello...

Thoughts?

my_photo-2.jpg my_photo-3.jpg my_photo-4.jpg my_photo-5.jpg my_photo-7.jpg my_photo-9.jpg my_photo-10.jpg my_photo-11.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yes this Nickel is wacked out ! I don't know, die Cracks, damage on reverse,. Hard to say. Multiple things going on.

CygnusCC likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Looks like glue to me.

eddiespin and CygnusCC like this.
  5. CygnusCC

How would I check that. Drop it in a solvent of some sort? I actually have some Conserv, I wonder if that might work...

6. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Probably adhesive. Might be a mailer coin, one sent in the mail glued to a card. 100% acetone soak would remove it, if it’s adhesive. JMHO

CygnusCC likes this.
  7. CygnusCC

HA! Following @Robert Ransom's and @Danomite's analysis, I scratched it with a fingernail. IT WAS GLUE. :hilarious: Ok, pay no attention to this thread.

They really need a delete thread button on here...

my_photo-15.jpg my_photo-16.jpg my_photo-17.jpg

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

No delete button needed. The good thing to emerge from this thread for you and others is that glue on a coin can create the illusion of errors and you resolved your questions with a fingernail. Secondly, the safest route would have been to soak in acetone.

CygnusCC and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted