1996 Quarter Double Die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by IndianaPenny, Jun 1, 2016.

1. IndianaPenny

IndianaPenny New Member

I am mainly a penny guy, but I did find a nice looking 1996 Quarter that seems to have some doubling on it to me. I have not done very much hunting with clad coins and maybe I am wrong? Opinions greatly appreciated, thanks! 1996 Quarter 1.jpg 1996 Quarter 2.jpg 1996 Quarter 3.jpg 1996 Quarter 4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like machine doubling to me.

Chris

tommyc03 and tomfiggy like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

most likely

5. IndianaPenny

IndianaPenny New Member

Thank you very much!

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It is definitely mechincal doubling of some sort and NOT the result of doubling on the dies surface.

Tyler Graton likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

can i get a complete obverse on this coin i know itsmostly MD but i just want to see it

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@IndianaPenny
    The correct term would be Doubled Die not Double.
    I want to share this webpage with you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubled_die

quote - "Note that the proper terminology for this occurrence includes the letter 'd' at the end of the first word, hence "doubled die". The term "double die" without the first word ending in 'd' is not proper numismatic terminology." closed quote

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. IndianaPenny

IndianaPenny New Member

I can not seem to find a good camera to take a full picture with, I use a microscope for the pictures posted, and my phone is way too blurry at the right distance.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks like that coin was really gyrating a lot as both sides have MD . Is there any chance the coin was struck twice as I think I'm seeing a ghosted L and I ?

12. IndianaPenny

IndianaPenny New Member

Where do you happen to see the ghosted letters? The only doubling I see on this coin is in LIBERTY. Would that be the case even if it was double struck?

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I think not; particularly on the B and R, the "additional" features are simply larger than the "original" features, and there's no serif splitting. On those at least, the new serifs are displaced enough so that splitting should be visible.

Tyler Graton and rzage like this.
  14. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

20170830_160310.jpg 20170830_160208.jpg 20170830_160310.jpg 20170830_160310.jpg 20170830_160208.jpg

15. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

any info on this one

16. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Post your own thread.

17. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

18. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

sissy

19. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

I'm not a sissy. I was trying to help you get eyes on your coin you lazy ass whipe. If you post it on someone's thread no one will see it because all the peope are looking at the original posters pictures and not yours. When I am trying to help someone with their coin, I am not going to look in the comments of another persons thread for questions about another coin. Half the people probably ignored the thread after they posted their answer to the other persons question.
    You are the sissy. Can't even heed advice. Sissy

scottymenefee likes this.
  20. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

lol I'm sorry I thought you was being mean my bad.I do have it else where I just was trying to get any info.sorry again

21. Uvette mancillas

Uvette mancillas New Member

I have a 1996 D coin can you tell me if its double die

Draft saved Draft deleted